Would You Recomment Fibrin Glue to Be Used During Rhinoplasty?

I have a thick, oily nasal skin and am undergoing rhinoplasty surgery in about a month. My doctor plans on refining the tip and narrowing the nose, in general, as well as an alar base resection. I've heard of the use of fibrin glue to essentially make the skin stick against the skeletal framework (I guess?) in order to prevent pollybeak deformity and other healing complications. Is it legal in the US, have any of you surgeons tried it, and would you recommend me to ask my doctor for it? Thanks!

Fibrin Glue in Rhinoplasty Value

+2

I routinely use fibrin glue in my rhinoplasty surgery (Tisseal).  It supports the tip cartilages during the initial stages of healing and prevents formation of thick scar tissue under the skin.  The end result is a nose that heals in a position that is consistent with the position it was in at the end of surgery, including avoiding the "polly-beak" complication.  It may also help reduce bruising.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fibrin glue during rhinoplasty

+1

Fibrin glue is not commonly used during a rhinoplasty.  The nasal skin reattaches quite easily to the skeletal framework.  Fibrin glue, if used would not prevent a pollybeak deformity, which is fluid retention in the dermis.  It is unlikely to add any value to the actual procedure itself.  I also do not believe it has an FDA indication for that application.  

Rhinoplasty with fibrin glue

+1

Fibrin glue is approved by the FDA, however few use the product for rhinoplasty. There is a claim that it will reduce the chances of a supra-tip fullness, though there are no studies which confirm the claim, and there are many causes for a supra-tip, all of which come into play during any rhinoplasty procedure.

peterejohnsonmd

Rhinoplasty and Fibrin Glue

+1

Hi,

I dont think fibrin glue is necessary. In fact it may add to scar tissue between the flap and nasal skeleton. Wearing a compression cast dressing for 7 days should be adequate.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Fibrin glue with rhinoplasty

+1

There is no need for fibrin glue with rhinoplasty.  I have never heard of the tissue NOT sticking down.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Fibrin glue in rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Fibrin glue is available in the US. I don't typically use it in rhinoplasty. It offers little extra when a compressive nasal splint is used. I find it more beneficial in face lift  surgery when you are trying to have large skin flaps stick down and not accumulate fluid and blood.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon