Just a few hours after a Sculptra treatment, I look the same. Why?

I just had a Sculptra treatment today. I have had severe loss of fat in my cheeks due to an autoimmune which is why I chose Sculptra. My doctor said she didn't want to overdo it on the first treatment, but if I absorbed it all tonight, we would need to do more. So, I absorbed it all tonight- what does that mean?

Sculptra Treatments

+1
Sculptra is injected as a water based injection.  That is why some doctors refer to Sculptra as a "liquid face lift".  Since it is water based, within a day or two you should look as if nothing has happened.  Over the next four to six weeks, Sculptra will allow your body to produce new collagen in the areas where it was injected.  What you have described is perfectly normal.  If you have severe loss of fat in your cheeks you will need three treatments spaced at least one month apart to replace the lost volume.  Sculptra is a fabulous product and be sure to find an experienced injector for the best cosmetic results.

Sculptra results take time

+1
Sculptra is a filler which works with your body to stimulate collagen. The fluid used to inject sculptra is made up of a combination of lidocaine, water and/or saline. The fluid will dissolve over the first 24-48 hours, but the product remains in your skin. Over the next 6-8 weeks, collagen is formed. With only one vial of sculptra at your initial visit, it can be difficult to appreciate the change as it is a subtle result. However, as you continue your treatments and have 2-3 additional vials, you will see dramatic but natural appearing results 8 weeks after your last treatment. Don't forget to massage daily to increase the collagen formation and reduce the risk of nodule formation.

Meg Cherry, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra is a unique facial filler that works over time with your own body

+1

Sculptra is performed over a series of typically 2-3 or 3-4 treatments over a 3-month time period.  Over this time period, patient's results evolve and we add a little bit of product, very much like "sculpting' and we achieve the patient's desired result gradually as the results emerge over the course of several months.  The results of this treatment perpetuate for many months even years after the initial treatment as your body stimulates collagen. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra results take time to see!

+1

Sculptra is a great product and at our practice we do utilize it extensively to fill out hollows in the cheeks. However, it seems that your provider did not properly educate you on how long it takes to see results from Sculptra. Sculptra is different from other injectable products in that you do not see the results immediately. Sculptra acts like a scaffolding that your body's own natural collagen can grow on. As such, the results are gradual. You can expect to see results over the course of a couple months. So don't be discouraged! Give it a couple of months to see best results.

Emil A. Tanghetti, MD
Sacramento Dermatologist