Should Fees for Anesthesia and Operating Room Increase for Adding an Additional Procedure Being Performed at the Same Time?

Should fees for anesthesia and operating room increase for adding an additional procedure being performed at the same time? For example, I first received a quote for performing a mastopexy with lipectomy to asilla and outer breasts. The operating and anesthesia fees were quoted at 2400.00. I then inquired what the fees would be for also performing a neck lift at the same time of the aforementioned. I in response received an estimate for anesthesia and operating fees to priced at 4300.00.

Nothing is free, especially surgery time

+2

Most of the time there are additional fees for additional procedures.  Generally speaking if the surgeon is doing work outside his facility the anesthesia provider and surgical center bill one of two ways.  The surgeon either pays a straight fee for the time used.  Or the other method is that she/he pays per procedure with discounts given for multiply procedures.  Remember safety is your number one priority not costs. 

Good luck, and thank you for the question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anesthesia and Operating Room Increase

+1
It is common for costs to increase with additional procedures as surgical time is increased and the anesthesiologist has to be compensated. If you have your surgery at a surgeon's facility, you may be able to avoid additional facility fees.

To ensure that you are receiving quality work at the most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. The quality must be maintained at the highest level to maintain accreditation. The surgeons also have incentive to hire and train quality staff (to ensure that surgery is efficient and enjoyable), to ensure comfortable and private facilities (to encourage referral), and to eliminate waste (to ensure that these facilities can compete effectively).

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Should Fees for Anesthesia and Operating Room Increase for Adding an Additional Procedure

+1

The additional procedure adds time for use of OR and for the anesthesia provider. Just as you surgeon will charge more for the added procedure, so will the OR and anesthesia provider.  All the best. 

Additional fees

+1

Hello, and thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, the answer to your question is yes.  The operating facilities where I perform my surgeries will bill the patient per procedure being performed. I have also operated at other facilities that bill based off of time.  Either way, adding a procedure will incur fees.  Anesthesia companies bill based on time.  I have seen some bill in time increments of 15 minutes, others in incremements of 30 minutes, and some by the hour.  Once again, adding a procedure that takes more time will incur more fees in this department as well.  In some cases, I will have my patients stage their procedures (have one surgery performed, and then down the road, have the other) if finances are a concern.  We also work with lenders such as Care Credit to help our patients finance their surgery.  I hope this answer was helpful to you. Best of luck!

Tanya Aya Atagi, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Additional fees

+1

Most likely the answer is yes.  Operating room costs and anesthesia fees are based on time in the operating room rather than which procedures are performed. Basically, the more time you're in the operating room, the more the fees will be.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1
Yes if your adding another procedure it does add up. Especially a neck lift it's a big surgery that requires more time in the Or.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Anesthesia and OR Fees

+1

There is no question that there will be additional fees for additional procedures and more time in the operating room. More time means, the OR staff stay longer, more supplies used etc...

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

The more surgery you have, the more it's going to cost.

+1

Of course you'll be charged more for add on procedures.  More time and product is being used to keep you asleep as the surgeon performs his operation.

Should The Operating Room and Anesthesia Fees Increase With Additional Procedures?

+1

Dear Nancy Jane,

Think of an operating room like a taxi.  The more time you are in the cab, the more your fare will be.  Because you are adding on an other procedure that will increase both your OR time and the time you are under anesthesia, your costs will also be increased.  

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Pricing of Surgery

+1

The cost of every operation is determined by the time that the surgeon will spend, the tools and medications necessary, and the amount of time spent by other staff, i.e. the anesthesiologist and nurses. Adding an additional procedure to the surgery adds a considerable amount of time and cost to the procedure. The prices that you have listed are very low and you should be cautious about this procedure. Generally in surgery you get what you pay for. Make sure that your doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon or else you risk serious complications that will only end up costing you more money.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Lift Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD