Feels Like Dust or Sand in Eye After Upper Eyelid Surgery

I just had my upper eyelid surgery last week on Monday. The doctor removed a little bit of fat and skin during surgery. I got the stitches removed 4 days after. 2 days after the stitches were removed, I started feeling like there was some kind of dust or sand in my right eye. I can only feel it when I close my eyes and move my eye ball from side to side. It feels fine when I have my eyes open. Any idea what causes this?

Sandy feeling in eye after surgery

+2

I agree. Most likely you have a corneal abrasion.  You should see your doctor as soon as possible, as the abrasion may become infected. 

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Foreign Body Sensation in Eye

+2
It sounds like a corneal abrasion or irritation. It usually responds well to conservative measures. If your surgeon cannot resolve this issue you may wish to be seen by an eye doctor.

Blepharoplasty Postop

+2

It sounds like you may have an abrasion of your eye.  This can happen and this is something you should mention to your surgeon.  He or she may want to put you on some drops until it resolves.

I would minimize rubbing or irritating your eyes.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Several potential reasons for your symptoms

+1

There are several potential reasons for your symptoms. This can range from something minor to something more serious. Consult with your surgeon regarding this problem and perhaps request a consultation with a specialist for a more thorough evaluation. Without an evaluation, it is difficult to provide you spefics on your situation.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon