Feeling Incredibly Small After Breast Augmentation Surgery?

Hi all! So I have my breast implant surgery on Thursday 8/16/12. I've been super depressed the past few days b/c my implants just look and feel SO small. I know everyone is telling me to be patient and wait but I can just tell they are small. I gave my PS pictures of the look i wanted, used the vector imaging and still I just feel tiny. I am 5'6, 125lbs was a 34 a/b and went with 375 cc HP silicone gel. Can i expect any positive changes in the next few weeks? Are these a good size for me?

Concerns about Breast Size after Breast Augmentation?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the “stress” you are  experiencing after breast augmentation surgery. You should be aware that it is not unusual for patients to feel that they are “too small” or “too big”,   early on after breast augmentation surgery.  Most patients who feel this way ultimately are pleased with the results of surgery. Many patients who feel that they are too small immediately after surgery find, as the breast implants “drop and fluff”,  that the breasts actually appear larger to them.

If, at all possible, it will be best for you to wait a period of at least 3 to 6 months before making any final decisions about the procedure that has been performed. I routinely ask my patients  to wait at least 3-6 months before   evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery.  This waiting time allows patients to (uaually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.  

There are both physiological and “psychological” reasons to wait on having  revisionary surgery. From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling,  tissue contraction,  skin redraping,  implant shifting etc. come into play.

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period"  during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about.  Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.
Obviously, it is best for patients not to be making important decisions ( for example about the results of surgery and/or the need for additional surgery) while they are experiencing these emotional “ups and downs”.

Feeling too small after Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear xobabygirl - feeling too small after surgery is very common.  The issue, I believe, in your situation is your height.  What might be the correct implant size for someone your with your original breast size who is 5'2" would look too small for someone over 5'5".  That's what the vector I think, fails to take into consideration.  I always let my patients try on the implants first.  It's not perfect but it gives them a more real life sense of what the implants will look like.  Without seeing you it is difficult to tell, but I would get guess you might need implants almost 100cc's larger.  

Trying to come up with the correct implant size between PS and patient is always difficult and tricky.  I'm sure your plastic surgeon made his suggestion using all the correct measurements and guidelines. I would wait several months and then if you are still unhappy, see if he can help you with a discounted price to change them out.  Good Luck.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Depression after surgery

+1

It is fairly common to ber a bit down after surgery. Most of this is related to the recovery.  Give it a few weeks to get better and allow for things to heal.  If you are still unhappy with the implants, you should have a thorough conversation with yrou surgeon and also review your pre and post-op photos.

Did I go too small?

+1
Given your height, weight and implant size, I have to say, even without photos, that you aren't small! Sometimes patients have this feeling of depression after augmentation. I think you need to calm down, let things resolve and allow yourself to adapt to your new body image. Don't be afraid to discuss this with your plastic surgeon and remember that the implants will drop--but not necessarily within a few weeks.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Feeling small after BA

+1

Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you feel down after your BA - this should be a very positive experience for you.  You have done all the right things and despite this it appears that your expectations have not been met.  The size implants you had should give you a full C / D which should be a really good size for your frame.  Without seeing your photos - its difficult to comment about how the present implants do look but they are not SO small.  Try to get trusted  friends and family to give their opinions - they may reassure you that you look fabulous!   Good luck!

Christopher J. Inglefield, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon