Should I Still Be Feeling Extreme Spasm in the Area Where I Had a Tummy Tuck After 1 Year?

I had a mommy makeover 13 months ago and still feel down the center of my torso a pulling, spasm like feeling which I never had before, could this be a reaction to the permanent sutures? No doctor seems to think this is the cause, I have seen an internist, md and my plastic surgeon (who is great) and no one has ever heard of this reaction, I didn't have a lot of fat in the area but did have lipo. No recovery problems, no infections and no outward signs of problems. Please answer, thanks.

Spasm after Tummy Tuck?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing.

Your situation is too complex to address adequately online.  Direct examination will be crucial in determining a diagnosis and  and to allow for discussion of treatment options.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Sutures that are too tight can cause pain after tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

If your discomfort is tolerable, you should do nothing.  If it becomes too painful for too long, you may need to have the diastasis repair redone.  The internal stitches are most likely the source of your pain.

Muscle spasms after a tummy tuck

+1

One year after your tummy tuck, muscle spasms may be caused by an entrapped nerve.  See your plastic surgeon again to fully assess your concerns.

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com

Abdominal pains 1 year after Mommy Makeover

+1

I would continue to remain in close contact with your surgeon, but you may want to consider a course of physical therapy to undergo range of motion as well as core strengthening.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/other-procedures-chicago/labiaplasty-and-mommy-makeover/

Sensations after a mommy makeover

+1

Weird sensations inyoru abdomen a year after surgery is unusual.  But there are some patients that expereince unsuual sensory changes sometimes.  You  may want to be evaluated with an MRI or even see a neurologist, and of course follow-up with your surgeon.

Abdominoplasty

+1

It is unusual to have pain after one year from Tummy tuck.

In my practice i have no hesitation obtaining an MRI of the abdominal wall to rule out any pathology including low grade infection.

If it shows any reaction then exploring the area is warranted

Muscle spams after tummy tuck abdominoplasty surgery

+1

Different patient's muscles react differently to surgery. Most likely some of the muscle tightening sutures are stimulating the muscles to contract and you feel this as a spasm. I had a parotid gland removed when I was a resident and afterward I would get spasms in the masseter muscle on that side especially if I took a big bite into an apple. That went on for some time but the time between spasms slowly increased and the intensity of each spasm also diminished until I no longer had them. As long as the time between spasms increases and the intensity of the spasms is diminishing you know are getting better and it is just a matter of time.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.