Haven't Been Feeling Well and Rhino is Scheduled 2 Days Away?

I'm having rhinoplasty in 2 days under conscious sedation. I wasn't feeling well on Monday and didn't go into work... and I haven't bounced back yet. I don't have a fever but my stomach doesn't feel right, I barely have an appetite and I've been exhausted/weak. I really don't want to cancel the surgery after working out my schedule. Can I have surgery if I'm not feeling 100%?

Feeling Sick Before Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Tina,

Being physically unfit before the surgery should be taken seriously and it is definitely something you should share with your surgeon.

I understand the depth of what patients undergo to make room for their surgeries in their busy schedule but taking unnecessary risks is not a good idea.

I recommend that you consult with your surgeon before undergoing your surgery and I am certain that he/she will help you make the appropriate decision that will put you at the least risks possible.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Sick in the OR

+1

If you are truly "under the weather," reschedule your surgery now.  Your surgeon will need to know what is happening to you physically and may require that you keep your surgery appointment.  The surgeon may need to treat your condition now.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I have surgery if I feel sick?

+1

As you know, scheduling surgery can be a difficult task. Finding OR time with the surgeon and then coordinating that with a work schedule can take months. Sometimes patients have put so much effort into coordinating their surgery that they are willing to do anything to make sure that it gets done. 

While these feelings are completely understandable, I would be cautious about moving forward with surgery if you feel sick. You want to be in the best possible position to heal. Having surgery when you are sick can create all sorts of complications and, ultimately, there is a good chance you would regret it. I hope you feel better!

Todd C. Miller, MD

Need to have your surgeon and anesthesiologist weigh in

+1

I tend to err on the side of caution if someone is ill heading into an elective procedure such as rhinoplasty.  If a patient has a mild upper respiratory infection that seems viral in nature, no significant cough or lung symptoms, and no high fever, I will discuss with our anesthesiologist and sometimes go forward.  If someone has any of the symptoms above, I tend to put on the brakes.  But overall, your surgeon needs to help you to make this decision based on your specific condition.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon