Should I be Able to Walk Straight 3 Days After Tummy Tuck Surgery?

I had the full tummy tuck w/ muscle repair and lipo on upper hips. My pain has been tolerable since day 1 post op and it's day 3 and I am hardly on any pain meds. My drain seems to be leaking less? Am I on the road to recovery or does this seem like it's too early? On a side note, I've been laughing lately and have been trying hard not to (how do I know if i ripped anything inside? like the muscle repair? If that makes any sense?

Expect at least a week of discomfort after a tummy tuck

+3

A tummy tuck is a major operation.  You can expect some discomfort during the first few days, up to a week.

Swelling associated with any surgery tends to peak at postoperative day three (POD3).  During this time you will likely need to take oral pain medication.

After the first week, you may need only Tylenol for discomfort, with stronger pain meds in the late afternoon or at night.  If you are very athletic and your body is used to being stressed physicallyl with regular strenuous exercise, your recovery might be even more rapid!

It is entirely normal to feel like you are unable to stand up straight for up to 10 days after a tummy tuck.  This is because of swelling and the feeling of tightness and numbness after surgery.  However, if you were to stand up straight, you would not do yourself any harm!

The repair of the muscles towards each other (correction of the "rectus diastasis") on the inside is secured by a double layer of sutures and is performed twice, in my practice.  On top of that, the abdominal incision is closed in three distinct layers, so it is quite secure.

My advice to all of my patients is always "listen to your body".  If it hurts, don't do it!  Remember that you have had surgery and you need to allow your body to rest as much as possible.

Karen M. Horton, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.S.C.

It is not uncommon to walk slightly bent over or not being able to stand-up straight following a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).

+1

It is not uncommon to walk slightly bent over or not being able to stand-up straight following a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) during the early healing period.  This is a result of tightening the abdominal wall and removing the excess skin.  For more information, see DRMEZROW.com

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1

It has been my experience that operating on well motivated patients who are well educated on what to expect and what to do after their surgery COMBINED with numbing the tightened abdominal wall with a long lasting anesthetic commonly results in rapid recovery. I have not seen people bent over ("L's") in my practice in years.

Nice going!

Dr. Peter Aldea

Great recovery from a tummy tuck

+1

Some patients are lucky enough to have your kind of recovery.  Just be glad and don't overdo as this will set you back.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Feeling great following a tummy tuck.

+1

it is excellent that you feel great this early after your tummy tuck.  It is very unlikey that laughing will affect your TT and tear any sutures. 

Walking straight after tummy tuck

+1

It really depends on your skin and how thight the tuck was. Some patients are able to walk up straight within a couple of days and some take over a week, so it depends on a lot of factors and what you are experiencing is certainly within the norm.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Rapid recuperation after a tummy tuck. A good sign?

+1

Recuperation from a tummy tuck is so variable among patients. Fortunately, it sounds like yours has progressed quite well - so don't be alarmed. Many patients take a few days or more to be able to ambulate standing up straight.

Make sure that you follow the recommendations of your plastic surgeon including avoiding certain activities for a given period of time. Some patients may feel so well that they can engage in activities that may be detrimental to their healing such as placing too great a strain on their muscle repair. Moderation right now is good.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+1

Great to hear that you are on your way to a speedy recovery.  But don't get overconfident.  Follow your surgeon's postoperative instructions.  I generally advise patients to walk flexed at their waist and gradually straighten up more and more each day.   Most patients requires 5 to 9 days to walk straight without any discomfort.  Ambulating is great.  But no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for about 5 weeks.  Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+1

It is important not to try to stand straight up in the fist 7-14 days following a tummy tuck.  Tension on the suture line can cause widening of the scar.  Excessive tension can cause a wound disruption.  Even though you are feeling well, try not to overdo it.

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Tummy Tuck

+1

Everyone recovers at a different pace.  You seem to be lucky that you are having a very smooth and quick recovery.  There is nothing wrong with recovering quickly.  However, you may have good days and bad days during your recovery, so don't push yourself too much at first or you may regret it.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD