I feel a small bump on the left side of nose closer to my left eye. It feels like bone? Will that go away?

I just got my cast off today for my rhinoplasty. I had a open procedure, had a bump removed and he refined my tip a little bit. There is quite a bit of swelling as expected. I feel a small bump on the left side of nose closer to my left eye. It feels like bone? Will that go away? Is there anything I can do to get the swelling down at a quicker rate? Thank you

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1
Dear beebop, thank you for your question.It may take several months for swelling to subside after rhinoplasty. Here in San Diego, we follow our patients for one year to follow their healing. Consider following up with your surgeon to monitor your progress and see if any intervention is necessary. Rarely a second opinion may be in order. Best of Luck.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump at side of nose

+1
The bump that you are describing may very well be swelling created by osteotomies (the controlled breaks that are made to reshape the nasal bones). Osteotomies are performed frequently to help correct the deviated nose. It is common for patients to feel a small 'pea-sized' bump on the side of the nose at the location that you are showing especially after percutaneous lateral nasal osteotomies (using a very small and sharp instrument that is actually passed through the nose/cheek skin instead of internally to make the osteotomies). The bumps are the result of swelling in the skin where the instrument was passed through. If your bumps are secondary to the osteotomies, gentle massage of this area will help these bumps to resolve in a few weeks and this is normal following rhinoplasty. Alternatively, an irregularity in the location you described could be the bones themselves. The osteotomy (fracture/break) site can be palpable and this usually becomes less so over the year following your surgery as the bones heal. In some instances, there may be a palpable irregularity at the osteotomy site longterm but this is typically not a problem unless it creates a visible irregularity in the area. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon at your follow-up visit.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

+1
Without having your operative report, I do not know if you are feeling bone. If so, a minor revision may be needed after you are healed. It is way to early to make that determination, If needed, this is usually done in an office setting weeks to months after the Rhinoplasty.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon on a routine basis so that he can monitor your healing.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD