I Feel Pain from Stomach Exercises - Could There Be Tearing of the Stomach Wall?

I did an abdominoplasty 7yrs ago & I feel pain when I do stomach exercises. This is even after exercising for some time. Could there be tearing of the wall that was sewn together? If so, what should I do?

Pain after tummy tuck during exercise

+3

Many patients experience pain or discomfort early after tummy tuck surger when they exercise their abdominal muscles.

7 years after a tummy tuck, this would be unusual, and in the vast majority of cases would be related to something acute, not to the tummy tuck.

If however the pain has been continuous since the surgery, and always in the same location, it may be worth working up the situation with an MRI scan to see if a hernia is present.or possibly another problem. 

If the problem is sufficiently bothersome, it might even be worth considering having the area reexplored.

See your doctor.

+2

If you are feeling pain 7 years after a tummy tuck you should go and see your surgeon.  The period in which you will feel pain should be over with.  Just keep in mind, if something is wrong, it is repairable!

Stomach pain years after a tummy tuck.

+2

If you are experiencing recurrent pain following exercise, I recommend seeing a physician to evaluate this. It is unlikely to be related to the previous tummy tuck you had 7 years ago, however, that does not mean it should be ignored.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tupler method for abdominal pain

+2

You may have a separation of your abdominal muscles. A non-surgical solution may be to try the Tupler method which you can find on the internet. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pain with Exercise

+2

7 years after the procedure, there is probably no association.  Were you having this pain the whole time or just recently?  If there is any concern, you should visit your surgeon for an evaluation.  It is likely something totally unrelated.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

+2

Most likely no relationship after 7 years since the TT. If continues seek an evaluation and a scan. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Pain from Stomach Exercises - Could There Be Tearing of the Stomach Wall?

+2

Regarding: "I Feel Pain from Stomach Exercises - Could There Be Tearing of the Stomach Wall?
I did an abdominoplasty 7yrs ago & I feel pain when I do stomach exercises. This is even after exercising for some time. Could there be tearing of the wall that was sewn together? If so, what should I do
?"

We have no idea how your muscle repair was done nor how intense your "stomach exercises" have been. Just like any athlete can sprain a ligament (tennis, golfing, pitching etc) there is no reason why over-doing whatever exercise on your abdomen should be immune from pulling on the muscle repair causing inflammation. As to the possibility of a complete undoing of the repair seven years later, it is highly unlikely because scar tissue has formed around and is bracing the repair.

In in doubt, wait a few days for some swelling to subside and then see your Plastic surgeon.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Exercise after an abdominoplasty

+2

Symptoms after seven years out from an abdominoplasty is atypical.  You likely have injured your muscle or sprained something but probably not your tummy tuck repair.  You didn't mention a deformity, but anybody can get a herniation particularly if there has been an incision previously.  Consult your board certified plastic surgeon if that's the case.  Otherwise you sound like you may just be sore from pulling/twisting the wrong way.  Best wishes

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Exercise after tummy tuck

+2

If you are seven years out, the likelihood that you did something to your repair is highly unlikely. You may have pulled a muscle, but certainly it is worth checking out.