I Can Feel my Implant by my Scar? (photo)

I posted a question a few days ago regarding several concerns I had with my breast augmentation. Yesterday, I was very itchy on the upper part of my left breast, by my armpit. I went to check and was horrified to see a ripple, as I examined it more by my scar (under the breast) I felt the implant! My left breast is sore on the spot where it ripples. I made an appt with the surgeon for Tues. but, I am worried and stressed out. I was 34/C deflated. I got 500cc cohesive gel, sub muscular, no lift.

Rippling possibly even with silicone gel implants.

+1

I can't tell much in the photographs but it does sound as though you're feeling the contour irregularity in the prosthesis. If it is not visible it's probably best to leave it alone.

Rippling and implant palpability

+1

It is common to feel the implant along the lower fold region. Rippling can happen with thin tissues sometimes placing Strattice helps minimize it.

Concerns over results and rippling

+1

At this point, you need to see your surgeon.  If your wound is well healing, nothing bad should happen before your appointment Tuesday.  I suggest you write down your concerns so everything is covered and your concerns are addressed by your surgeon. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Feeling the Implant and Ripples

+1

Thank you for your photographs.  It is not usual to have rippling and to feel the implant.  Silicone show less ripples at the surface but much less than saline.  Everything is fine.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

I Can Feel my Implant by my Scar?

+1

Appears as a great early result! Best to be seen on Tuesday to alleviate your concerns. Only in person examination would allow you to have peace of mind. 

Rippling of implants can happen, even with silicone

+1

I'm not precisely sure what, if any, question you're asking, but I can address your shock at noticing ripples in your breasts.  It is not uncommon to see or feel ripples, even in silicone gel implants in areas where tissue coverage is thin.  Although the gel implants are softer than saline, and they don't ripple as much, they still can.  The main thing to note is whether the tissues are SO thin that it appears as though they may weaken and allow exposure of the implant.  This is very rare, and unless this is happening, there really is no cause for alarm just because you can feel the implants.  Sometimes if the implants fold, there may be a palpable "lump" where the implant shell is folding, and this can also cause some soreness if it keeps "rubbing" the breast capsule from the inside.  All of these things can be evaluated by your surgeon, and he can also give you options for what to do.  It is good that you are seeing him this week; try not to stress too much about this.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Implant Palpability and Rippling

+1
Sorry you are stressed out, but rippling and palpability can certainly be seen with breast augmentation.  They usually present a bit later after surgery once the swelling has subsided. Keep your appointment for evaluation and see what your plastic surgeon thinks is going on here.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Feeling your Implant after surgery

+1

Please do not worry and stress out. You are correct to see your plastic surgeon for reassurance but your photos do not demonstrate anything to be worried about.

Many people can feel their implants if they know what they are feeling for and any irregularities can be from the overlying breast tissue. An itch is non specific and as it has resolved I would not put any merit in it.

In summary, you have nothing to worry about. Be patient and see you plastic surgeon for reassurance.

Regards,

Dr Kevin Ho

Kevin Ho, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

MASTOPEXY IN FUTURE byVillar

+1

All patients have asymmetrical breasts, one larger and lower than the other to varying degrees.  You have moderate ptosis and your original choice was likely to do a lift with the trade off of scars, or a simple augmentation and accept a lower breast.  This is a personal choice.  Most implants can be felt, especially from the lateral margin of the pectoralis to the medial dissection of the pectoralis.  This is common.  Eventually you may have to consider a mastopexy and much smaller implants if you want upper pole fullness

Best wishes. Knowledge is power.  Luis F. Villar MD FACS

Luis Villar, MD