I Feel Like Since I've Had Implants Under the Muscle, I Have Been Unable to Do Push-ups the Same Way. Will This Change?

Is this in my head, or have the implants really interrupted my ability to do many push-ups in a row? THe implants are under the muscle.

Breast Implants Under the MUscle Can Interfere with Push Ups, May Improve with Time

+2

Placing Breast Implants under the pectoralis muscle does alter the muscle function at least initially. If the bottom of the muscle was left open or if the inferior part of the muscle was detached form the Sternum of Breast Bone, the muscle may be weaker.

You should not be doing Pec exercises or push ups the first month or so after surgery and you should ask your doctor before doing this.

In time the muscle may strengthen to the point where you can return to doing push ups.

Effect of under muscle breast implants on pecs

+2

What patients are not told about the traditional under muscle technique is that the lower portion of the muscle is detached from the rib cage. This will affect pectoral muscle activity and is what causes problems known as animation deformities. A variation called the split muscle technique, which I use routinely, avoids detaching the muscle but still allows the upper portion of the implant to be under. It has been particularly useful for body builders and athletic women, who typically have low body fat and need some muscle coverage. In any case, bulking up your pecs after having implants under is not a good thing in terms of appearance of the breasts so I would recommend focusing on other muscles and avoid pushups.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast Implants and Push ups?

+1

In the long run, sub muscular breast implants should not interfere with your ability to do push-ups. In the short run, I ask my patients not to do these or other types of strenuous pectoralis exercises;  I am concerned that these exercises may increase the risks of the breast implants migrating to the side of the chest wall.

I would suggest that you check with your plastic surgeon about his/her experience and recommendations.

Push-ups and breast augmentation

+1

Placing breast implants under the muscle shoudl not impact your ability to perform push-ups significantly.  it may take a while to get back to where you were before surgery.

Implants under the muscle and push ups

+1

One thing that you didn't mention is how soon after your surgery you are.  Implants placed under the muscle will cause some strain and spasm to your pectoralis muscle, especially in the immediate post-operative period.  I would also guess that you will notice some changes in your chest strength or ability to perform push-ups for a while -- this is probably not a factor for the average athlete, but if you are a competitive athlete it may affect your performance for a few months.  I would also speak with your plastic surgeon.  Some surgeons would prefer that you not do push ups or chest exercises (such as bench press) for several months after a sub-muscular augmentation.  And yes, it will get better with time.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Pushups and breast implants.

+1

The short answer is yes they probably have.  The implant changes the directional pull of the pectoralis muscle when doing chest exercises.  At my Austin, Texas plastic surgery practice I recommend that my patients in general avoid specific pectoral building exercises after breast augmentation since they build up the pectoral muscle and we want to keep this muscle soft and pliable rather than build and enlarged.  I recommend avoiding pushups, pec deck, bench press, and other chest targeting exercises.  Do your general routine but focus more on arms, legs, abs, etc and less on chest to keep your implants soft and looking good.  Hope that helps, Dr. Kerr.

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS