Why Can I Now Feel my Left Saline Implant?

I have had saline implants for almost 3 years. I have recently lost weight and have been able to feel my left implant if i press on my breast. I could feel them when I first got them and now again. My implants are in front of the muscle and were entered in under my breasts. The size has not changed at all it just doesnt feel right and sometimes when im walking i can feel it moving. The right one seems to be covered by alot more skin then the left one. Is this normal?

Increased visibility of breast implants with weight loss

+1

IT is not unusual for my paitents to report increased awareness of the implants with weight loss due to thinning of the overlying tissues and exposure of the underlying breast implants.

Palpability of implants

+1

Palpability of implants varies among patients. Certainly with weight loss potentially you have less soft tissue coverage and this may manifest in feeling the implant more.

Feeling Implants after Weight Loss

+1

Yes this can be normal.  If they are above the muscle you are going to feel them easier especially with your weight loss. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implant palpability

+1

You can likely feel your implants because of your weight loss and the fact that they are on top of your muscle.  If this bothers you a lot, you may want to consider having them switched to a position under your muscle and if you have saline implants, having them replaced with gel.  Many slender patients have some palpability regardless of the type of implant or the placement.  In some of these cases, if the palpability is really an annoyance,  it might be reasonable to try a dermal graft such as Alloderm or even some fat transfer to the are that is palpable. 

It's not unusual for the breasts to behave a little differently.  Remember, they are sisters, not twins.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD