I Feel a Gap at the Back of my Dental Bridge and the Gum Line, Can Infection Get in Between?

I have just had a new zircinium bridge fitted. I can feel a gap between the crown edges and my gum line. The dentist said it is okay, but surely bacteria can get in and cause infection. Shouldn't the crowns fit inside the gumline with no gap?

Space between the gum and zirkonia bridge

+1

The food trap underneath the bridge can definitely cause the infection of the gum and decay of the tooth structure. The boarder between the crown and the gum in posterior side of the tooth can be a little higher the gum line. You should be very careful and attentive to the oral care and use WaterFloss that will help you to prevent any inflammation or decay in this area.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

gaps in bridge can cause food trap

+1

The gap will  not cause infection, but the food trap caused by the gap will speed up the possibility of recurrent decay on the remaining teeth .

The gap may also be present due to your missing tooth  beeing  lost for a long time , leaving bone comprommised in height or width. This will cause a less desirable bridge design . If this is the case, simply ask your dentist if you need  a  "ridge aumentation and/or  bone graft" , and redo the brisge in 3-4 months. Or keep the area clean as much as possible.

Good luck.

'

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Gab at Gumline

+1

In general , a good crown or bridge should be seamless with the teeth and gums and feel undetectable.  This has a lot to do with the quality of the lab work.  If you went to an in-network dentist, they are limited in the labs they can use because of the cost.  As an out-of network provider my lab work costs are several times those of an in-network provider, but you get what you pay for.  You may not necessarily have a problem or it can be monitored.  Get the opinion of a few reputable dentists to confirm the restoration is acceptable.  If it is not, then have it replaced.  Generally they cannot be altered or repaired.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Gap between a zirconium bridge and the gum.

+1

The space you are reffering to is not susseptible to infection, however this may be a food trap and can accelerate decay on the adjacent teeth.  Make sure the area is well flossed all the time.  There techniques where by the pontic (false tooth) is enbedded in the gum, this is called an ovate pontic.  Eliminates the space but makes it more difficult to clean underneath.  Beneficial in the front of the mouth not so much in the back. 

Hope this helps and enjoy the ability to chew again.

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Gap between back of dental bridge and gum line

+1

The gap between the back of your bridge and your gum line is fine to have.  In fact, this design is purposely used to promote the health of your gums.  Because of this gap, it is easier to brush and clean underneath your bridge.  This design is not likely to cause infection, as the area can be easily cleaned.  Enjoy your new bridge.  All the best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Corona Cosmetic Dentist