Will I Always Feel Some Discomfort After Mastopexy w/ Implants?

I am 4 weeks post op after having a Mastopexy with 400cc moderate profile silicone implants placed under the muscle. I am still experiencing some swelling, redness and my breasts are shiny. This is more apparent at the end of the day so I am still using ice packs. I haven't been able to sleep on my stomach and it concerns me that I am experiencing moderate discomfort and pain when my husband lies on top of me. Will I always feel some discomfort when pressure is placed on my chest?

Breast lift or mastppexy

+3

This is still early in post-operative phase.  The redness may be due to the size of the implant and that there may not be much tissue over it.  It doesn't sound like an infection.  You should be able to make a complete recovery in the next few weeks.

Mastopexy discomfort will improve

+2

At 4 weeks, you will continue to be sore and aware of the surgery.  It could take up to a year before your discomfort goes away.  Four weeks is too soon since your surgery to expect no discomfort.  It is difficult to accept this fact, but surgical procedures need more time.  Be patient with your healing and wait to ask your doctor to change anything.

Robert B. Winslow, MD (in memoriam)
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast lift with implants

+2

I would discuss this with your surgeon but after an examination, I would likely recommend a more supportive bra to ease the tension on the wounds. This discomfort may last up to 9 months.

Discomfort after Breast Lift with Implants

+2

This type of pain and discomfort is completely normal with a Breast Lift with Implants and will resolve with time.  With this type of procedure it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to begin feeling better. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Discomfort 4 weeks after Mastopexy with implants is normal.

+2

This operation requires months to completely soften, settle, and for scars to mature and fade. As skin sensory nerves regenerate and heal, there can in some cases actually be more discomfort that gradually returns to normal. All patients experience this to differing degrees.

If you cannot lay on your stomach (putting pressure on your breasts), then perhaps your husband shouldn't lay on you yet. (I didn't say "No sex," just be a bit more creative). Still, at 4 weeks, your risk of bleeding is pretty much "back to normal" so comfort is the deciding factor on activities and sleeping position!

Ice is really not helpful at this point and should be discontinued. If you are premenstrual, this may also be a factor in your swelling. Check back with your surgeon if you have any concerns. And, NO, this discomfort and swelling is not permanent! It may take several more weeks to feel better, and several months to reach your final result! Hang in there!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy and post-op discomfort

+2

You are still very early post-op from your mastopexy with implants. I would expect that over time the discomfort will resolve.  If you have concerns speak with your doctor.