Why Can I Feel my Breast Implant Putruding?

I am 2 months post op, saline implants and everything was going pretty well. Now when I lay down I can feel a bump on the lower half of my right breast and when I touch it, it is most definitely the implant. Is this normal? Or could this be the double bubble I've been reading about? Thanks so much.

Can you feel the edge of your breast implant?

+1

Breast implants are placed either under the mucle or above the muscle but under the breast tissue.  While the intention is to ahve the implant hidden from sight and feel, it can be palpable. This is especially possible if you are very thin, have saline implants, or have implants above the muscle.  To decrease the risk of visible implants or palpable edges, I recommend silicone gel implants placed under the chest muscle.  If you have a palable implant, revision surgey can be done to reduce the visible or palpable implant. Speak with your board certified plastic surgeon about this.

Web reference: http://www.drschulmanplasticsurgery.com/breast/breast-augmentation/

Breast Implants - Why Can I Feel my Breast Implant Putruding?

+1

What you actually feel on the breast is a combination of your own skin and breast tissue, and the implant.  If the implant is underneath the muscle then you'd feel that too BUT there is no muscle covering the lower third of the implant (it doesn't extend that far down).  As a result it's not uncommon, particularly among thinner women, to feel the implant at that location.

You should, of course, check this with your own plastic surgeon, but it sounds like it is within the realm of "normal."

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Feeling the lower edge of the implant is normal

+1

Once the swelling goes down after a breast augmentation, you may be able to palpate (feel) the lower edge of the breast implant; especially near the side. This will also be more noticeable in thinner patients with little breast tissue. It is also much more common with saline implants. As far as the double bubble is concerned, you would need to be examined by your plastic surgeon to diagnose that condition. Follow up with your plastic surgeon for a complete evaluation.

Dr.Bruno

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com

Double bubble???

+1

The issue you're likely having is a bit positional.  It sounds like your saline implants are placed under your muscle.  When implants are under the muscle, only about 2/3 of the implant is under the muscle, the remainder extends at the bottom of your breast beyond the end of the muscle.  Your muscle is elastic so it squeezes your implant.  Imagine what happens when you have a balloon and you only press down on half of it...the other half bulges out.

While what I'm explaining happens to every implant, the fact that saline implants feel very different than natural breast tissue makes this easier to feel.  The other big issue with what your describing is that the muscle also helps to hold the implant in a somewhat stable position.  Your natural breast all sits over the muscle so is supported differently that your implant.  When you lie down, your natural breast typically moves up and to the side- away from the lower pole of your breast where the saline implant protrudes beyond the end of the muscle.  You will likely have the same ability to feel the lower pole of the implant when you raise your arms.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation...but all that your feeling is very normal.  I hope this helps!  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Web reference: http://www.psurgery.com

Feeling breast implant

+1

What you are experiencing is likely normal–breast implants are often times more palpable at two months then they are immediately after surgery. The implants may be more palpable in certain positions or certain areas of the breasts where there is less “coverage”. Typically implants are most easily felt at the bottom or on the outsides (lateral) aspects of the breasts.

Of course, if you have concerns or the palpability  worsens you may want to see your surgeon for advice. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm

Implant palpability

+1

Most patients can feel there implants a bit. This is especially true in the lower pole where there is often less soft tissue coverage.

Double bubble

+1

if you are a slim person this is very normal.  the double bubble is something you would see in a standing position

Newark Plastic Surgeon

Probably Normal

+1

Most patients can feel the lower pole of their saline implants after the swelling goes away. This is one of the big drawbacks with this implant.  If it bothers you, you may need considering switching to silicone.

Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.