I Can Feel Bone Poking out Inside my Nostril, Can That be Fixed in Revision Rhinoplasty?

I'm due to have revision rhinoplasty Tuesday and live out of town so I'm not able to see my de again before. I have bad bossae that are being corrected.It isworse on the right side and I have always felt like I have something in my right nostril.Today I felt up there and I swear I can feel bone/cartilage poking out on in my nostril!! Not on the side of the septum but the part that feels out?How did that happen? Will my surgeon see this when he cuts it open or should I call him?Can that be fixed?

Revision rhinoplasty should be successful in correcting that extra little spear poking out of your nostril.

+1

Dear Lake Charles;

Good luck on your revision rhinoplasty!  If you have bossae, they are correctable, of course.  Regarding this being able to “feel bone/cartilage poking out on my nostril,” it is hard to say exactly what that is, but it could well be just a little spicule or shaft of cartilage.  In the tip, most likely cartilage since there is no bone there; higher in your nose over the bridge is where the nasal bones are located. 

Hard to say how it happened.  Sometimes Nature pulls a little surprise on us, but in any event, your surgeon at the revision rhinoplasty session should be able to correct it and hopefully you will be satisfied. 

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Fixing poking bone in nostril with revision rhinoplasty

+1

It's hard to say if your area of concern can be address. You should point out the area you feel the protrusion so your surgeon can give you a better idea about how it can be fixed.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Bone Within Nostril

+1

It is impossible for us to tell you what should be done with the 'bone' poking into your nose. I assume you will see your surgeon before the operation, but call him now if you're not sure.

Revision after rhinoplasty

+1

Bone "bossing" is usually straightforward to correct but it is important to be able to differentiate between cartilage and bone; this can be hard if the cartilage has been operated on because it can calcify and present like bone.

Revision rhinoplasty is challenging: make sure your surgeon has had a lot of experience in this arena, especially if you have a more complex problem.  Make sure the plan that is presented to you makes sense.  It can never hurt to get another opinion. 

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Bone poking out

+1

It's difficult to know exactly what your concerns are without an exam or photo. If it's not on the septum you could be referring to cartilage recurving inwards at the marginal incision. Address it with your doctor. It's likely that it can be corrected.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say to you what specifically you are feeling.  If there is cartilage or bone protruding it should be able to be removed.