Belly Has Extended Super Low Below Belly Button and Massive Rippling, Will This Smooth Out?

my strech marks are raisied and ripply. I am freaking out because I look awful. Will this get better, will my stomach smooth out, will strech marks go flat. and will my belly button my oringal one, melt into my skin.

Tummy tuck

+2

If your surgery was in the past few weeks then what you are experiencing is quite normal. The "rippling" and other irregularities usually smoothen out with time.  Patience is important.  Try to stay as emotionally even keeled as possible and continue follow up with your surgeon to rule out complications and for re-assurance.

Best Wishes.

Tummy Tuck Revision

+2

How long has it been since your surgery. I suspect it is only been a few weeks in which case I am sure things will improve over the next several months so I would ask you to been patient. As to you having a seroma, it is difficult to tell without examining you.

Richard Linderman, MD

Post-tummy tuck troubles.

+2

You may have a seroma, as others have indicated. Aspiration with a needle is the treatment, and it should not be delayed, and may need to be repeated every few days. If the volume of aspirate does not go down fairly quickly, a drain may need to be (re)inserted. If you or your surgeon choose to ignore this (assuming there IS a seroma), the pseudobursa that results from prolonged undrained seroma must be removed via another operation.

But that's probably not an issue here, since you have a result that will probably need revision anyway. Your surgeon tried to keep your incision short, but your anatomy required an extended incision to give you a proper result and avoid the diagonal lines of tension that are clearly visible in your photographs. Was a muscle repair done? (If not, it should have been, in my opinion.)

Deal with your seroma (if you have one), let your surgery heal for 6-12 months, and then seek consultation with one or two ABPS-certified plastic surgeons for an additional opinion. Your own surgeon may have the lowest-cost revisional surgery, but it appears that his choices thus far were suboptimal, so having him do a re-do surgery is a choice you have to make. Good luck!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar

+1

I am not sure how long ago your surgery was, but it seems recent.  You may have a seroma or if your muscle was not repaired, you may still have a lower abdominal bulge.  I do not like the amount or pattern of gathering in skin incision clousre-that is why your incision has those long diagonal lines running from it.  See your surgeon regularly and communicate your concerns.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Concerns about outcome of a tummy tuck

+1

Though you didn't cite how long ago your abdominoplasty was performed, it appears that it was fairly recently. Regarding your belly button, the photos seem to indicate a partial loss of tissue. An examination could better determine its status and the long term prognosis regarding appearance.

With regard to the irregularities of the abdominal skin, they will most probably persist though may improve slightly with time. It appears that they were caused to a significant extent by your doctor trying to keep your incision short. However, this tradeoff seems to have been ill advised and it is highly likely that you will require a revision in the future to further improve this situation. You may need to wait 6 months or more.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Rippling after tummy tuck

+1

Don't freak out! It looks like your surgery was fairly recent, like within the past few weeks. If so, you might have a seroma in your lower abdomen. This is a collection of fluid that is trapped. It does not mean that you have any infection but it should be removedas soon as possible. Just get in to see you surgeon sometime this week to have it checked. If it is a seroma than it can be removed with a skinny needle (called aspiration). Sometimes they can be stubborn and you might need it repeated once a week for 2-3 weeks. Also, stretch marks often look worse right after surgery. The swelling really makes them visible and the seroma might make it look even worse. That will go away and they will go back to the way they were originally as the swelling goes down. Overall it takes about 3 months for swelling to resolve from a tummy tuck. If your surgery was not recent, than you should still see your surgeon to make sure you don't have a "mature" seroma. But these are harder to treat and you might need surgery to get rid of it. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

+1

Sorry but thanks for posting your photos. I see a poorly preformed TT with ? MR. You will need revision after 6 months of healing. Again was your surgeon a boarded PS? 

Marks After Tummy Tuck

+1

How far out are you? It may get somewhat better if you are early but some of these marks will likely remain. I would wait 3-6 months and if things are not to your satisfaction at that point look into a revision.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon