Pain Pump Fee After Tummy Tuck

Hi, Is there an additional fee if a pain pump is inserted after a tummy tuck. If so, appx. how much. Thanks!!

Pain Pumps Following Tummy Tucks

+3
Pain pumps make a tummy tuck / abdominoplasty procedure much more tolerable. Your  plastic surgeon should include a pain pump at no additional cost.  Things like pain pumps, compression garments, lasers to heal scars and of course all post-operative visits should be included as part of your surgery. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pain pumps help after tummy tucks

+2

I recommend pain pumps to all of my tummy tuck patients. They do add a liitle bit to the cost of the procedure, but they cut down on the pain in the first few days after surgery. I place the catheters next to the abdominal muscles where they provide the most benefit. They can be easily removed by the patient when they are empty.

Laurence Weider, MD

Pain pumps work well - no charge

+2

I disagree with the other surgeon who posted about pain pumps. I find them to be very effective for tummy tuck patients and do not charge to place them at surgery. I do have my own way of putting them in of course. :)

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Don't bother with it. Long-acting local anesthesia at surgery helps.

+2

Pain pumps sound like a good idea.  However, a recent study shows that in practice they don't seem to provide any benefit.  The anesthetic does not seem to penetrate the tissues very well and tends to get sucked into the drain tube.  There are possible complications and of course increased cost and hassle. 

In my own practice, I use Marcaine, a long-acting local anesthetic to numb the abdomen in surgery.  This provides pain relief that likely persists at least 24 hours after surgery.  It also allows the surgery to be performed under unconscious sedation instead of a traditional general endotracheal anesthetic (which has benefits including less risk of  nausea).

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon