Is It Feasible to Request Two Procedures Completed in One Surgical Setting?

Subject 53 year old female patient in average health; requires information on locating a plastic surgeon willing to complete a body make over including breast lift, in one procedure. Discretionary possible facial. Would prefer clinical/hospital setting. Reason for request, prefer to bite the bullet and get it over with.

Multiple Procedures in One Sitting?

+1

Yes, it is possible to have multiple procedures done in one setting. The primary concern will be safety of the procedure which generally boils down to length of surgery,  potential  fluid volume shifts,  and blood loss concerns.

Depending on what procedures you are interested in your plastic surgeon will be able to advise you regarding specifics... make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon as well as a board-certified anesthesiologist in a fully accredited surgery center or hospital.

Best wishes

Dpends on the type of procedures involved

+1

It is not clear from your question what procedures you are interested in. Usually the breast mastopexy can be done in combination with another procedure at the same time such as a tummy tuck. Even more so if you are interested in the facial procedures. One anesthesia time and one recovery time sounds great to many patients.

However to combine a full body lift with mastopexy is usually not a good idea for most patients. 

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Multiple procedures in one sitting

+1
The Extreme Makeover frenzy, of having multiple procedures done at once, is not, in my opinion, a good thing. Too much surgery and anesthesia can lead to complications based on the length of the procedure. Safety is more important than expediency. I also note that, frequently, patients come to see me with a laundry list of desired procedures and then can't even afford one. SO I recommend that you prioritize the things that are important to you. It also doesn't hurt to have one procedure with a plastic surgeon and be sure that you've had the experience you hoped for before signing on for more surgery. I say this having seen two patients on Monday whose first time experiences were not an expected and were recommended to me by satisfied patients.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Multiple surgical procedures

+1

It is very common to perform combined procedures during the same surgical setting provided that it the patient is healthy and that the two combined procedures are not excessive in operative time or extent of blood loss, etc..  Each case is individualized but it is common.

Multiple procedures at once

+1

Two procedures at once are certainly possible. . . the most important thing to consider is the particular combination of the procedures and the length of time that is anticipated for the combined procedures to take.   In my opinion, the most important aspect of combined procedures is minimizing risks for complications.  Most "mommy-makeover's" in my practice involve combined breast and abdominal procedures, including breast augmentation, breast lifts, and tummy tucks.   I limit the combination (meaning the time) of the procedures to approximately 4 1/2 to 5 hours maximum in the operating room, and it is important to be very mobile after the procedures to prevent any formation of blood clots.   Combined procedures are great as long as they are performed efficiently, accurately, and with a post-operative protocol that stresses mobilizing the patient.

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Two procedures at once

+1

Combinations with breast lift are very common, and you might have heard about the 'mommy makeover', breast lift with tummy tuck. You did not mention what your other dream procedure is to be, perhaps facelift, though combinations to 'get it over with' are quite common.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Two surgeries in one setting

+1

Is it feasible? Absolutely! As long as the individual pursuing surgery is healthy and a safe candidate for surgery, performing multiple stages is often done.   I often recommend my patients have more "global" operations performed that address adjacent areas in a single setting so the postoperative result of one area is not detracted by another unoperated area, for example, the abdomen and breasts or the eyelids and face. Expense and anesthesia recovery are less with combination surgery as well.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Several operations at the same time

+1

there is no hard rule to say that cannot be done. everything is a risk reward ratio situation. clearly depends on how many procedures and how long and how invasive. sun surgeons will take twice as long as others to do the same operation. get a realistic appraisal from your doctor as to how long each operation is, make sure you are in a good facility, and have the proper help at home for the aftercare and you should do well.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

+1

Not quite sure of the operations you desire? Is it a Mastopexy + Face Lift? If yes than can be done in one operation.