Fearful of Pain During Fully Awake Smart Lipo?

In early November I will having Smart Lipo on waist and abdomen. I will be fully awake and I am more afraid of pain during than the recovery! Is percocet and valium enough for a pain baby? Is IV conscious sedation an option for the fearful?

Pain with Smartlipo

+2

At our facility more than 90% of patients undergoing Smartlipo have the procedure done with oral sedation alone which is what you would have with percocet and valium.   Because we have an adjacent surgical facility our patients have the option of having IV sedation, but really few require it.  We usually reserve it for patients who are nervous even with having their blood drawn or having an IV.  Unless you take percocet and/or valium regularly for related conditions it is usually enough to relax you sufficiently so your doctor can infuse the local anesthetic (tumescent solution).   All of our patients who have had the oral sedation have said that it was easier than they thought it would be.  Good luck!

Moscow Plastic Surgeon

Local anesthesia isn't alway enough for Smartlipo

+2
Smartlipo can treat small areas with local anesthesia. As a rule of thumb, one can treat an area about the size of two of the patient's hands at one sitting with local anesthesia and pills. Larger than that and comfort may be an issue and may limit the completeness of the lipo. Especially if you are very sensitive to pain, you should consider more complete anesthesia such as iv sedation, monitored anesthesia care, or even general. If your doctor can't offer these options you may want to get a second opinion from one that does.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Local anesthesia and SmartLipo

+1

Having SmartLipo on local anesthesia is normal. You will be awake during the procedure but the areas you are having treated will be completely numb.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Local anesthesia and SmartLipo

+1

For most people, local anesthesia with oral sedation is enough to make them comfortable during the procedure.  There are exceptions of course.  These exceptions can be based on the areas to be treated, the amount/length of the treatment, and the patient's previous experiences.  If you are really that nervous about the procedure, make sure you talk to your surgeon as IV sedation may be a better option. 

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Pain

+1

Of the three surgeons in my area who do laser lipo two of us use local with very light sedation. There is no question the there is some discomfort but, most people feel it is tolerable and worth the cost and inconvenience of general anesthesia

David A. Bray, Sr., MD