Fear of Death During Tummy Tuck

I am 26 years old, had two c-sections, I am going to have my tummy tuck this coming Sunday 10th July. I stopped smoking since 1st June, stopped drinking since 3 weeks, no medicaI isues,I am only 48KG in a good shape. I am so scared that I'll die during my TT, i have a feeling that I will die and I cannot stop it, is that Normal? I always wanted to do it, please Advice :( I dont want my daughter to be left alone. Please let me know if anyone had the same feeling and if i am fit for the surgery.

Anxiety about surgery

+6

Most patients are at least a little anxious about surgery, especially if they don't have much experience with surgery.  On the other hand, when I had my colonoscopy under general anesthetic, someone remarked that I did not seem nervous at all, and I was not.  I have seen countless patients undergo general anesthetic, and I know that, if general anesthetic is done under the right circumstances, it is very safe.

Admittedly, a colonoscopy is not a tummy tuck, but the concept is the same.  The things to ask yourself are: how comfortable are you with the decisions about your surgeon, your anesthesiologist, and the facility?  Have you made choices based on what is the best and the safest, or have you made choices to shave off a few dollars.  Certainly, it costs less to have surgery at a lesser facility, but that comes with less help if there is a problem, and possibly less supervision and less equipment and supplies.

Similarly, it costs less to use a nurse for the anesthesia rather than a physician, but who do you want to be in charge if something turns out to be more difficult than you anticipated?

Also ask yourself if your surgeon is the most experienced available.  Sometimes a surgeon whose training does not qualify them to work in a hospital will do surgery in a lesser facility for that reason.

There is an "old nurse's tale" that a patient who says they think they are going to die, really is going to die.  I'm here to tell you that the tale is not true.  They are bringing their experience from working in a hospital.  Patients who have had heart disease or other serious medical illnesses can get a sense of impending doom from the decreased blood flow from the heart as it slows down.  Some of those patients do go on to die, and all the nurses say "They said they were going to die".  The ones who got better, the nurses forget that about the "prediction".

I have had many patients say (because I often ask what they are nervous about) that they are worried about dying from the anesthetic, and of course, none of them have.  I ask them to stop and think about the choices that led them to having surgery.  They planned, they researched, they checked credentials, they evaluated surgeons and facilities and anesthesia choices.  They had done everything they could to be sure that they were making a good choice, and they felt better.

So I recommend the same for you.  Have you done your planning and checking?  Have you checked that the surgeon who said they were board certified really is?  Has he done a lot of tummy tucks?  Has he had broad training to help him deal with unplanned problems, or just the bare minimum to get board certified?  Have you checked out the facility?  Is it a real hospital, a doctor's office, or something in between?  How about the anesthesiologist?

Think about those things, and ask yourself how you feel about your choices.  If thinking about those things makes you feel better, then take a deep breath and move forward.  If thinking about those things makes you even more nervous, then maybe it would be better to change your plan.

Fear of death during tummy tuck

+5

Your question is very common for tummy tuck patients.  I don't' think women are so afraid of dying but they are more concerned for their children.  They fear for their children in the extremely rare event of their death.  Even with a good husband at home, women are worried about their children's' well-being.  It is not uncommon for a tummy tuck patient to say right before surgery, "Just don't let me die, I have children at home".

Your anxiety is not unusual but I would make sure you are able to keep your fears under control so it does not control you.  You will need to make the best decision for you and your family.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Fear of dying after or during a tummy tuck

+3

Don't do it, period. Wait until this fear is gone then consider having it done. I've canceled many surgeries for that very same reason. Call me superstitious, and illogical, but I trust women's instincts. Though we'll never know whether this policy has prevented any of my patients from dying; I would rather not find out! The surgery itself is safe: Minute per minute it may be safer than being on any highway, but still it's an elective procedure postpone it. 

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Death during tummy tuck

+3

As a matter of fact, you are more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the surgery center than you are during your surgery.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Pre-Tummy tuck concerns

+2

Thank you for the question. Your concerns are very common (the norm rather than the exception)  with moms about to undergo tummy tucks surgery. Assuming you're working with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist the chances are extremely high that you will do very well with your operation.

A few words of advice may be helpful...

You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful. 
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Death during tummy tuck

+1

if you cannot get the fear out of your head, cancel the surgery.  the risk is not zero and even if everything is done perfectly, the risk of dvt, pe, does exist.  either way quit the smoking for good; not just for the surgery.  you have two small children and the smoking is more likely to kill you than the abdominoplasty

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Fear of upcoming tummy tuck

+1

The two c-sections you have had have about the same risks as a tummy tuck.  General anesthesia is very safe with MD anesthesiologists.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon who may recommend anti-anxiety meds or postponing your surgery until you are in a better frame of mind.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Fear of Death During Tummy Tuck

+1

Anxiety vs fear are very different issues. Fear of death that is  truly making your decision on whether to have surgery or not is an unrealistic thought that needs to be discussed in detail with your surgeon. If after this discussion you still have this issue I would recommend not doing the surgery. Just my opinion. 

Tummy tuck apprehension

+1

It is normal to be nervous prior to any surgical procedure, but very unlikely.  You seem to be doing all the right things. If you are so nervous and apprehensive perhaps you should hold off or wait until you feel better about it.  Discuss it further with your surgeon.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Fear of Death During Tummy Tuck

+1

based on your specs your risk appears to be acceptable. your level of anxiety is not, you need to be emotionally ready. no one can guarantee anything. you've done your homework and made important concessions for safety. now its time to proceed with a clear head. if you cannot, then cancel and revisit in the future. when in doubt, sit it out. If you were my pt I would rather have you cancel, than proceed to surgery unfit. 

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon