Fear This Was a Bad Otoplasty. What Should I Do? (photo)

I am 1 (one) week post-op, and I am starting to fear that my otoplasty was botched. When I think about the perfect, or just normal, ears for that matter I envision a relatively small conchal bowl and a helix that is a uniform distance from the head but that is farther out from the head than the concha and anti-helical fold just barely. I actually had an anti-helical fold, but the doctor decided to fold it back anyway. I think this looks weird. What should I do? What are my options?

Revision Of Otoplasty ??

+1

While it is only one week after your otoplasty and the ears have yet to relax yet, your concerns are understandable. I would give it a few weeks to a month after surgery and see how the helical rim relaxes and if it starts to project beyond the profile of the antihelix. It is quite possible that your concerns will be self-correcting.  If it does not, then you should revisit your surgeon, discuss your concerns, and perhaps consider a revision with release of some of the sutures holding the helilx so far back.

Otoplasty

+1

Let's give it six months before we cry wolf.  Sure, asymmetry may be an issue, but your ears have a lot of healing yet to accomplish.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concerns 1 Week After an Otoplasty

+1

You are right in that you do not want the antihelical folds to stick out further than the helix. Your photos do seem to show that your antihelix comes out further than your helix in the upper half of the ear, giving you a slightly unnatural appearance. What you have to realize is that there is almost always some "relaxing" that will occur as you heal. If the upper half of the helix lateralizes by several millimeters your result will be good. This is the hard part, but you need to be patient. Stay in close contact with your surgeon. Let him or her know your concerns. Ask questions at your follow up visits, and importantly, make sure that pictures are taken at all of your visits. By comparing serial photos you may be able to see improvement that you otherwise will not notice on a day to day basis. Best of luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ottoplasty

+1

First you are only one week post surgery, ther will be changes with time.

You describe what you think is the "perfect" ear measurement and distance from the head. You should have discussed that with your surgeon. I disagree with you on these measurements, but I would respect your input if you understand the differences.

The cause of prominent ears

1: no, or underdeveloped anti-helix

2; Deep concha

3: combination of the above two

4: largr distance from the scalp.

Correction is geared to understanding the factors contributing to the prominent ear and customizing the correction to the physical findigs.

Based on your photos, you appear to have a nice Otoplasty result.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

First, you're only 1 week post-op, so you will likely see a bit of relaxing of the middle third of your ears over the ensuing year. Without a before photo, it's tough to judge your result, but you do not have outstanding ears, and your result is acceptable so far, in my view.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon