Major Bad Odor from Open End of Incision, Too Worry?

I had my breast augmentation right over three weeks ago and at the end of one incision the very end is opened. It has been open for a week. The past two days I have been smelling a horrible odor and last night after changing my tape like I do daily I smelled it, sure enough the odor is from the open part of my incision. Should I be concerned??? My incisions are in my crease.

Incision odor

Definitely see your surgeon immediately to assess your wounds.  Foul swells indicate excess bacteria that should be treated. Good luck

4640 Admiralty Way
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Malodorous drainage from a breast augmentation incision should be checked immediately.

You should call your plastic surgeon immediately with malodorous drainage. This is most likely the result of infection.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Breast augmentation wounds do not drain

or smell unless there is a problem.  I hope you have seen your surgeon by now and am hoping for the best.  But your description describes otherwise.

Curtis Wong, MD

1950 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001

Odor from open incision

You need to see your surgeon to rule out possible wound infection.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

5673 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342-5029

Possible suture knot infection

This could be a wounds separation from a buried suture knot.  Best to have your plastic surgeon examine this area.  In the meantime keep it clean with soap and water as well as frequent dressing changes.

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Odor from incision after breast augmentation

An odor from your incision can represent several things, and the only way to evaluate it is by examining you. Best to be seen by your surgeon.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing. As you can imagine, online consultants will not be able to be of much help to you however.

Sometimes, the odor patients experience is related to fluid that accumulates underneath tape that is being applied. In these cases, it may be best not to apply the tape over the open wound.  In these cases, nonstick dressings ( such as Adaptec or Xeroform) may be most helpful. See what your plastic surgeon thinks about these dressings.

On the other, less common case scenario, odor may be a sign of infection.

Again, your plastic surgeon will be a best resource when it comes to more precise advice and/or reassurance.

Best wishes; hopefully you'll be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Open wound with odor after breast augmentation

Wound dehiscence and /or infection is rare after breast augmentation.  Your description of odor is concerning as well.  Your photo will be helpful.  Is the opening very small? Is there any pain or drainage from the opening?  You should see your plastic surgeon soon so that he/she can address the problem.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

4185 Technology Forest Blvd.
The Woodlands, TX 77831