Fatty Lump After Chin Lipo? (photo)

hi i got lipo for the chin but now have hard lumps left that will not go after. it has been 4 weeks now this there anything i can do to help them go away

Final Result takes months after Chin liposuction

+2

Chin (Submental) Liposuction: What to expect
There are many predictable portions of the healing process that ALL PATIENTS EXPERIENCE after liposuction. Temporary areas of firmness (lumps) can be seen early on but usually resolve on their own. Although both doctor and patients would like to not have this happen, it is part of the healing process. These Side effects refer to what you will be experiencing from the healing process: Here are some of the common things you will experience. The common side effects include: swelling which is maximum 2-3 days later, bruising (highly variable), numbness which takes several months to resolve,  tightness takes several days to months to resolve, discomfort (generally mild with this surgery, nausea (variable) and in some patients emotional lability in some. Although most of the visible edema resolves in 2-3 weeks in mini-lifts and 3-4 weeks in traditional facelift approaches, residual firmness (edema you feel but don’t see) can linger for several months. Skin suppleness also takes a while to return as does scar maturation. I tell my patients it takes up to a year for final resolution of the healing process. A chin strap often hastens recovery after neck/submental chin liposuction. In my experience, the above rough time table is usually delayed in smokers, when multiple procedures are performed together and when resurfacing procedures are done at the same time as the lift. The same is true if complications occur such as infection, hematoma, skin loss or compromise, etc

4 weeks is a bit early from neck lipo.

+2

Lumps and bumps are expected at 4 to 8 weeks after neck liposuction (any liposuction really).  I would let things continue to heal for another couple of months.  Things that have not resolved may persist but it is surprising how much things can improve in this time frame.

Residual swelling after neck liposuction

+1

There may be residual swelling or hypertrophic scar tissue that is forming.  I would consider aggressive early treatment to soften the resulting swelling. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Lumps In Neck After Liposuction

+1

After liposuction of the neck, I recommend ultrasound (the kind the physical therapist uses for sore muscles and not the kind that sees the baby in the uterus).  This is known as therapeutic ultrasound.  If liposuction is done as a separate surgery, we begin ultrasound 3 days after surgery.  If it is done in association with a facelift, we begin ultrasound 7 days after surgery.  It usually takes about 8 ultrasound treatments and it clears 99% of any lumpiness.  Very dilute injections of corticosteroid done by a very experienced plastic surgeon and followed by ultrasound may be necessary in the most extreme cases.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon