Fatty, Droopy Upper Eyelids? (photo)

I have a couple of questions. I was born with fatty upper eyelids that have always bothered me and now that i'm older (45) even so more because they have drooped. I have gotten great advice here on this sight and I thank you. I know fillers won't help get rid of fatty upper eyelids but will they help to lift the lid? Also if you look at photo #3 my right eye on the corner of the lower lid I see a an egg shape little bump, can this be and orbital dermoid? Thank you!

Fatty, Droopy Upper Eyelids?

+1

Your brow position is OK, and upper blepharoplasties will help with the contour and the appearance.  I would not waste anything on fillers for this situation.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of eyelid surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fatty, Droopy Upper Eyelids?

+1

You really should have a complete examination by an Oculoplastic surgeon.  Your eyelids are not "routine" and an indidual approach will be necessary.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelids

+1

You need to be examined in person by a board certified plastic surgeon to formulate a specific plan.  Based on your pictures, I don't think fillers are going to help you.  You would likely benefit from a blepharoplasty and fat removal.  If your lacrimal gland is causing the bulge laterally, it can be 'tucked' in during a blepharoplasty.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Low Upper Eyelid Crease

+1

I would need to examine you and take some measurements to be sure, but it appears from the pictures that much of your problem may be the position of your lid crease.   Often times, if a patient has a low lid crease, this can cause the appearance of what you are calling “fatty, droopy upper eyelids”.  A crease elevation procedure (with or without an upper eyelid blepharoplasty) would likely give a much better aesthetic result than a blepharoplasty alone.   Fillers would definitely not help this problem.  Again, I would need to examine you, but I tend to agree with the other experts that the bump you are noticing is most likely not an orbital dermoid.  This would be rare to develop in an adult.  I recommend seeing an ASOPRS trained oculoplastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and think you should be able to gain a nice improvement in your upper eyelid appearance.

Geoffrey J. Gladstone, MD
Southfield Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyes and improvement

+1

An exam in person would be best. Fillers will not make your full upper lids better. You may need a brow lift or upper lid blepharoplasty. As for the lump in the corner, it could also be a ptotic( sagging) lacrimal gland.

Droopy eyelids

+1

There are 2 fatty deposits located in the upper lids which can be removed to  improve  the  look of the upper lid. There is also the lacrimal gland in  the lateral portion of the  eyelid and when prolapsed can be tucked up and in at the time of the blepharoplasty. Excess skin is  also removed  during the blepharoplasty.  Fillers would not help in the  eyelid area.

Fatty, Droopy Upper Eyelids San Diego ? (Photo) (photo)

+1

No, filler is not indicated.  In agreement with other responders, upper blepharoplasty, well planned and skillfully performed, will improve the upper eyelids most effectively.

Steve Laverson, MD

Lacrimal gland prolapse

+1

Injecting fillers won't help with eyelid ptosis or puffy upper eyelids.

The bump on your third photo is actually your lacrimal gland.  It is called lacrimal gland prolapse. During upper blepharoplasty, the lacrimal gland can be "tucked in".

See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Ptosis

+1

In general, when evaluating the upper eyelids, three features should be examined:

1. Brow position

2. Eyelid position as it sits on the eyeball

3. Eyelid skin fold [to assess for excess eyelid skin or prolapsed fat nasally]

Looking at your photos, it seems to me that your brow position is adequate [though the tail of your brow does not have the usual arch]

You have excess upper eyelid skin which a blepharoplasty would help.

But the feature that the other experts have not mentioned is the fact that you have mild upper eyelid ptosis which gives you a tired or sleepy look. I have provided a link below that shows a patient with similar features that underwent ptosis repair only. Sometimes patient with eyelid ptosis compensate by raising their eyebrows. It is possible, that it is because of this compensation, your eyebrow position is adequate. Only an in-person consultation can tease out these subtleties.

In addition, the bump in the outside corner of your right eye that you mention is most likely a prolapsed lacrimal gland, and not a dermoid and not orbital fat. This can be suspended to the inside of the eye socket during your eyelid surgery.

Finally, as mentioned by my colleagues, fillers can not address any of these problems.

I would recommend consultation with an experienced ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon to address your eyelid ptosis. The link below shows the before and after of ptosis repair and the possible prolapsed lacrimal gland. .

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

You are a good candidate for upper eyelid lift

+1

Your pictures are very helpful. You will get great result if your lift done properly. Please do your search in your community for board certified plastic surgeon and ask for may before and after picture.The bump in lower lid is fat pocket,but not too noticeable to do lower lid lift.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon