Fatter Area After Coolsculpting?

I had coolsculpting on low abs 7 weeks ago w/ small applicator. I had no side effects at first but 4 weeks later, the area became fatter and even developed a golf ball size lump of fat on one side. The whole overall area around my belly button is noticeably bigger. The dr confirmed it was fat and to wait it out. My question is if this is the rarely reported fat enlargement, how do you treat it? If it is just swelling, how long does it take typically to go away. Im scared to do another treatment.

Fatter Area After Coolsculpting

+1
On a rare occasion, a patient may develop paradoxical hyperplasia, where the remaining fat cells can get enlarged after the Coolsculpting treatment. This can occur in a surgical body contouring procedure as well. Consult with your treating physician to determine what is going on,

Lump after Coolsculpting

+1
It is possible to develop a lump after coolsculpting.  I would wait a few months to see if the lump goes away.  There have been rare reports of paradoxical hyperplasia.  I would return after to the treating physician for periodic examinations to determine the best course of treatment.

Michele S. Green, MD

More Fat After Cool Sculpting?

+1

Thank you for your question. There is a small chance of developing paradoxical hyperplasia, where the remaining fat cells can get enlarged after the Coolsculpting treatment. If this is the case, the treatment for it is laser liposuction. I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Fat swelling after fat reduction with coolsculpting by zeltiq

+1

As fat dies, there is inflammation. there are times that a delayed inflammatory swelling can occur and this is temporary and can improve with lymphatic drainage treatments and external ultrasound therapy. Paradoxical fat hyperplasia (enlargement) is very rare, and not well understood, and there is not yet a consensus how best to treat this condition.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Cool Sculpting and lump

+1

The best way to treat this development is to give it some time and see if it improves.  If it does not, then you need to present this to your ps and get some idea of what it might be.  On a rare occasion, fat necrosis can result and give you this problem.  If so, your ps can describe how it will be alleviated in the future.  Do not be afraid to ask questions of your plastic surgeon.  Your condition is correctable.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon