Any Fatalities or Serious Injury After Brazilian Butt Lift?

Has there been any reports of fatalities or serious injuries from Brazilian Butt Lift?

+1

I have performed hundreds of these Brazilian buttlift procedures and never had serious injury or major complication.  It is possible get a fatal pulmonary embolus or a fat embolus.  It is also possible to have lidocaine toxicity or puncture an internal organ.  The risk of all of these is much less than 1%.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Brazilian buttlift Los Angeles, CA

Brazillian deaths

+1

No deaths to my knowledge have been reported.  One of the most prominent BBL sugeons in America mentioned having done over 1500 and not a single death.  All surgery has it's complications and risks (that is what informed consent is for) but simply because it hasn't been reported doesn't mean that it can't happen.  From what I've read and seen reported, it is a low risk operation.

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Complications after Brazilian Buttock Lift

+1

The procedure technique involves harvesting fat cells from a number of sources, including but not limited to your abdomen, hips, flanks or even thighs. Fat cells from some source sites work better than others as far as viability (ability of the transplanted fat to survive in their new home....buttock region). These harvested fat cells are then transferred to the buttock very carefully in order to ensure that they survive and augment the area.

Liposuction is one of, if not the most common surgical procedures performed by Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. Complications, although they do occur, are rare....and I am not aware of any fatalities or serious complications arising from this procedure...unlike the complications widely published occurring after Hydrogel (silicone) injections.

I hope this helps!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD, FACS

There are risks involved with any procedure

+1

There are reports of deaths related to the liposuction procedure. Studies conducted to date have not been definitive, so it is difficult to be sure how often death from liposuction occurs. In order to understand the extent of the risk, one study compares the deaths from liposuction to that of deaths from car accidents (16 compared to 100,000). It is important to remember that liposuction is a surgical procedure and there may be complications.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Has anyone every died after a Brazilian Butt Lift?

+1

Hi there-

To my knowledge at this time, there have been no reports of death, or other serious complications from this procedure.

Certainly in my practice I can tell you we do a lot of these procedures and have yet to experience anything more than a bit of swelling that takes longer than we would like to go away (I'm knocking on some wood right now)...

I do think that this procedure is very experience dependent and that your risk of complications and your likelihood of achieving the outcome you wanted will depend to a large extent on the skill and experience your surgeon has with this operation though.

As long as you find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who has a lot of experience with this operation, you should be able to achieve the improved buttock contour you desire with a high margin of safety.

Here's a bit more information on how best to choose a plastic surgeon:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Brazilian Butt Lift risks

+1

Any sugery carries a certain amount of risk. You can decrease these risks by taking precautions, complete evaluation by your medical doctor, blood work, etc.

• Facility should be certified
  • Anesthesia should be an anesthesiologist, board certified
  • Surgeon Board Certified PS
  • Inspite of all this and the precautions we take before, during and after surgery ther is a certain amount of risk. Including death.

You weigh all the risks and benefits and decide if it is worth taking the risk. It is very similar to driving your car, there is a risk, including death.

Like any surgical procedure, there are potential risks

+1

Fat grafting to the buttocks (Brazilian Buttock lift) involves two procedures:

1. Liposuction and filtration of the lipo-aspirate.

2. Injection of the filtered fat cells.

Morbidity related to both procedures could include: Infection,resorption of the grafted fat,formation of lumps,calcification. Liposuction morbidity is well know and is technique dependent e.g skin necrosis, injury to deeper structures etc.

The incidence of major complications is relatively low. The key is the choice of a board certified plastic surgeon familiar with this procedure as well as a licensed facility. Best of luck.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS