Zeltiq (CoolSculpting) to Treat Fat On Upper Outer Thighs?

I am thin with localized pockets of fat on my upper outer thighs. Is there a handpiece with which Zeltique could address those ?

Coolsculpting for outer thighs - maybe

+5

Whether coolsculpting will work on the outer thighs depends on the physical exam.  If the fat is soft and pinchable and will fit well into the probe, coolsculpting can work well on the outer thighs.  Unfortunately, many people have more fibrous fat on the outer thighs, making it difficult to get the fat into the probe.

Houston Dermatologist

Outer Thigh, Not So Good

+4

Even though Zeltiq works on any area of the body, the hand pieces supplied by the company limit the areas that can be treated.  There is not a hand piece that was designed specifically for the outer thigh--YET.  The company states that a hand piece should be available soon to treat the outer thigh.  Otherwise the thigh can be treated with the other heads that are available if they fit the contour of the body.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Zeltiq for upper out thighs

+4

Zeltiq can work there or in any other area that has sufficient fat to "pull" into one of the variuos treatment heads. Ther also needs to be enough laxity on the area for the same reason

Barry E. DiBernardo, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Zeltiq fat coolsculpting can treat many areas

+4

Generally speaking, the hand piece for zeltiq can treat any fat bulge that you are able to grab between your two hands about the size of a hot dog.  If any area of the thigh has enough fat distribution then the Zeltiq will work.  I would stay away from treating areas near breast tissue as that has not been studied to my knowledge.  It has been such a fantastic technological development to be able to treat localized fat bulges non-invasively.

Angela Bowers, MD
Southlake Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting outer thighs

+4

Coolsculpting will work for fat on the thighs. However, the distribution and size of each individuals fat in this location will determine the effectiveness of this type of procedure.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Zeltiq works on Outer Thighs

+4

CoolSculpting works great on the outer thighs.  You must be able to pinch about 2 inches of skin/fat for the applicator to attach.   Proper positioning can make a difference.  I recommend laying on your abdomen to treat the outer thighs.   We always recommend 2-3 treatments. After any treatment, you should see about 20-25% reduction of the treated fat.   

Grant Stevens, MD

Coolsculpting works anywhere you can localize fatty tissue

+4

Hi there-

While only FDA approved for use on the love handle area, the fact is that fat cells are killed by the Coolsculpting procedure, regardless of their location...

The limitations of the procedure are therefore related to skin quantity and quality, as well as your physician's ability to apply the device to your body in the manner most likely to result in a pleasing improvement in shape for you.

Remember that each time you apply the device, 20-25% of the fat in the area will be killed- if achieving your desired outcome requires loss of more than 20-25% reduction, you may need more than one treatment.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

For Zeltiq to work you must be able to pinch the fat

+4

You must be able to pinch the fat in your hands for the Zeltiq's handpiece to be able to grab the fat and hold it during the procedure.  The outer thighs are a difficult area to "grab".  We have had very few patients that had outer thighs that were good candidates for this procedure.  Zeltiq is a great procedure however for the abdomen, love handles, back fat and "muffin tops."

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Zeltiq will work on thighs

+4

I have treated several patients with Zeltiq on their thighs.  However, there needs to be an area which can be pinched that measures about 2 inches.  Also keep in mind that Zeltiq removes about 25% of the fat that is treated.  If this area is small, the results will be small, because 25% of a small area is even smaller.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Coolsculpting for the thighs

+3

Coolsculpting is great for treating exercise-resistant fat of the abdomen, love handles, and back.  Unfortunately, it is not FDA approved for treating the thighs.  However, standard liposuction can also be done right in the office under local anesthesia to remove excess thigh fat.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS