I Have a Fat Tummy and Always Wanted Tummy Tuck with Liposuction. Have Been Putting It off for Years?

3 months ago I was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian adenocarcinoma. After 4 rounds of neoadjuvant chemo I am scheduled for debulking surgery with laparotomy that will leave a 12"+ vertical scar. A few more rounds of chemo will follow. My oncologist refused to combine surgery with abdominoplasty, even if I were to find a plastic surgeon willing to participate. Will I be able to have tummy tuck later and how long do I have to wait? I am 44 years old and want to look good for however long I have left.

Tummy tuck after cancer debulking surgery

+2

Izzi,

I truly wish you the best of luck beating your disease. While I can understand your desire to look and feel your best, especially after going through everything you are, I do wholeheartedly agree with your GYN oncologist.  It makes more sense to recover and recuperate from surgery and chemo first, then after you are feeling better and have healed completely (usually 6-9 months) you can have an evaluation from a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are ready for a Tummy Tuck.  Best of luck.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck with Liposuction combined with ovarian cancer debulking??

+1

Adding a tummy tuck to your debulking procedures will magnify the chances of wound complications that could compromise your ability to receive your next round of chemotherapy, and I doubt you could find a plastic surgeon willing to cooperate with your suggestion. 

Once your chemotherapy is completed is the time to speak with a plastic surgeon.

Good luck with your treatment, thanks for the question.