Fat Transfer Will Make You Younger in the Face?

My nasal bone is quite high and my eyes sit deep. I have two hollow areas under my eyes, I would classify them as a tear through defect. There is one thing I do not understand though. Since I'm currently overweight, why doesn't the fat in my face hide the appearance of aging. I'm currently 31 years old and I can see my nasal bone, eyebrow bone and the entire area looking more hollow and bony. What do you suggest I do? And what is the difference between gaining weight and fat transfer?

Fat Transfer for Tear Troughs

+1

At your age, you could consider Restylane or fat grafting to the tear troughs depending upon need for volume and preferences.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Facial-Fat-Grafting-and-Stem-Cell-Rejuvenation.php

Fat grafting to the face is a good solution for midfacial volume loss

+1

Although you are young, it sounds like you are developing some of the early signs of facial aging - specifically the movement of youthful midfacial fat volume into the lower portions of the face. The volume of the tear trough and malar (cheek bone) area can be restored with a fat grafting procedure with faily good reliability. Sometimes revisionary procedures are necessary to obtain an optimal result.

Web reference: http://www.scottsattlermd.com/PhotoGallery_BreastEnhancementwithFatGrafting_383290.aspx

Fat transfer for the face

+1

Dear Suzanna2012,

• It is all about location and the fat around the eyes and face may have decreased despite there being fat elsewhere in the body
  • If you decide to go with a fat transfer, but want to lose weight, you should lose weight first to a stable point
  • When you inject fat in the face and there are weight changes, the fat in the face will also change, and that is why your weight should be stable prior to undergoing fat transfer
  • With that said, fat transfer is excellent with high patient satisfaction (in the right hands) for making people look younger

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Anatomy varies

+1

Everyone's anatomy is different and even though you my be over your ideal weight, it doesn't mean that your normal fat distribution in your face will camouflage the underlying bony anatomy.

One think is certain, however:  If you lose weight, the hollowness that you mention will become more apparent.

Fat grafting can be helpful for you in the areas where your face does not have fat normally. Obviously if you provide photos, our recommendations may be more helpful.

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.