Does fat transfer work well for tear trough and hollows under mouth areas? (photos)

I would like to do something long-lasting and safe to fill in tear troughs and hollows on the sides of my mouth. Any suggestions?

Fat grafting is the ideal material for tear troughs

+2
Fat grafting is ideal for tear troughs. Some surgeons will recommend other fillers for this area. There is no othe material that will provide a consistently even, smooth and natural looking result as fat, when administered properly.  Ask to see dozens of before and after images before even considering any filler in the tear trough. Be sure the surgeon can share images days, weeks, and years after the procedure is performed.

Fat has gained popularity in recent years. Therefore, lots of unqualified doctors are jumping on the bandwagon. When administered by an expert, fat grafting looks beautiful and totally natural. This is one of the secrets of models, actresses, and others who never seem to age, but do not look like have had anything "done". Unfortunately, some people do end up looking done. The result in the wrong hands can be a face that looks puffy and unnaturally overfilled.  Take your time and research your fat rafting surgeon carefully.  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fat and Tear Trough

+1
Fat can be used and would be a good long lasting choice if it all takes well, however there are many other alternative fillers such as juvederm or restylane that do very well in this area, have less downtime, are more predictable, and cost less with less risk of side effects.  I suggest you see a cosmetic dermatologist with experience in treating these areas.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Fat transfer to chin and lower lids

+1
Fat is an excellent filler for both of these areas.  Lower eyelid fat will be swollen for a week or two but if done correctly gives a nice contour to the tear trough area.  The chin area also does well with the fat.    

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Does fat transfer work well for tear trough and hollows under mouth areas?

+1
   Fat transfer to those areas is reasonable.  I did both of those areas last week.