Fat Transfer Vs Midface Lift For Second Round Facelift?

I had a facelift, necklift and blephoplasty 2 years ago (56 y, female). A year ago I had a facelift revision (mini lift with skin only). I have that thick Greek skin and a round face so it seemed in both cases the results were amazing for 6 months then slowly my cheeks started to droop a little. It is very disappointing and not sure why it happens. My plastic surgeon has recommended fat transfer in the upper cheeks. Would you recommend fat transfer or a midface lift or even cheek implants?

Consider cheek implants for drooping cheeks

+1

We do not perform fat transfers in the midface due to the unpredictability and unreliability of the healing process related to this procedure.  If patients have a flat cheek area, we perform cheek augmentation with silastic cheek implants placed in either the malar or submalar area depending upon the patient’s issues.  Any sagging skin will need to be addressed through either a mini lift or a full comprehensive face/neck lift.

Post photos

+1

I would recommend fat grafting. It will be a longer lasting result. Since I started doing fat grafting a few years ago, I have almost completely abandoned midface-lifting procedures, except on a the occasional post-traumatic patient.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer and Mid face lift both restore cheek fullness

+1

It is true that you age not only by gravity resulting in drooping skin and underlying tissue but also by deflation because of fat atrophy. The latter problem can be corrected by fat transfer. Fat Transfer and Mid face lift both restore cheek fullness but in different ways. In order to answer your question however it is essential to view your photographs or even better to examine you.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Fat Transfer to the Face

+1

Fat grafting to the face can be an excellent way to restore lost volume that occurs with aging.  It would be important to have an in person consultation to see if that is a good choice for your circumstances.  Best of luck

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Fat transfer or midface lift?

+1

Fat transfer or midface lift? This is a good question, but one which is not possible to answer without a photo or consultation. To say you need this or that without seeing you ar a photo is not in your best interest.

Fat transfer often a good choice after facelift

+1

After 2 procedures to lift the skin it is unlikely that more tightening will be beneficial this early on. Because fat volume is lost in the face with aging, restoration of volume in the cheeks with fat grafting is often very helpful. Plus it can be done under local anesthesia with a quick recovery.

Richard Baxter, MD

FAT TRANSFER OR MIDFACE LIFT FOR DROOPY CHEEKS

+1

The only way to answer your question is to do a proper consultation and examination. Each patient has different anatomy and different aging process. Your goals may be very specific. No one can say whether fat transfer (of which there are multiple techniques), midface lift (of which there are multiple variations), cheek implants (of which there are multiple sizes and styles), or any combination of these would be the most appropriate. Visit a couple of board-certified plastic surgeons and see what their philosophies are. Each patient should have a surgical plan that is highly customized to his or her anatomy and desires.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Fat transfer vs midfacelift

+1

Asolutely fat transfer. The fat inthe midface not only falls but it decreases in volume. Pulling it up by midfacelift, a very technical and difficult to always achieve symmetry operation is a distant second. With fat transfer you'll be having drinks with your friends in a week looking pretty good. And midfacelift...well not somuch.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD