Is Fat Transfer from Tummy to Breast Possible?

Can you use the fat from my tummy and put them in my breast?

Be careful with fat grafting in cosmetic cases

+1

I would be very cautious in using fat grafting for cosmetic reasons. There is a lot that we do not know regarding interference with hormonal production and the effect on future breast cancer. No proof suggesting that it could increase the incidence of cancer but it will increase the number of unnecessary biopsies due to calcification.

In breast reconstruction surgery, I use the fat quite frequently to help with reconstruction and in revision cases. The difference in this case is the absence of a target organ e.g. the breast.

ASPS Fat Graft Task Force Report

+1

Just published in the July, 2009 "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" Journal, the conclusion for the Clinical Applications was: "Based on a review of the current literature and a lack of strong data, the task force cannot make specific recommnedations for the clinical use of fat grafts...Regarding fat grafting to the breast, there are no reports suggeesting an increased risk of malignancy associated with fat grafting. There is a potential risk of fat grafts interfering with breast physical examination or breast cancer detection; however, the limited data available suggest that fat grafts may not interfere with radiologic imaging in detecting breast cancer."

So, the picture is still quite vague and until more definitive information is available, I will not perform fat grafting to the breast.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lipoinjecton to breasts

+1

This is not a new idea and it has generated much controversy over the past 20 years.

In the past, there has been significant concerns about calcifications (caused by the fat injections) which may cause confusion with calcifications interpreted to be a sign of cancer.

It has aroused much attention in recent years including the introductionof fat cells with growth factors that can stimulate enlargement of the fat cells.

A few practitioners perform this technique while the rest of us wait for the results and conclusions

Fat Transfer From Tummy to Breast

+1

Hi S,

Yes, the transfer of fat from the abdomen to increase breast size is becoming a more popular procedure.  It is a good treatment for smaller breasted women who desire an increase of one size.

Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD