Start Exercise Routine 4 Weeks Before Fat Transfer?

I'm having a fat transfer in 4 weeks. Can I start an exercise routine now? I'm going to have fat from the abdomen transfered to the buttocks. I'm a 37-year-old female. I haven't had my exercise in about 2 years. I want to be healthier for the surgery. I take only vitamins and b-complex now.

Start exercise routine before operation is great, but ask your surgeon

+2

I do Fat transfers to the buttock frequently, using the Body Jet System. Pre operation exercise is great NOT post. So go ahead and exercise, but ONLY if OK with the operating surgeon!

+1

Sure, the better shape you are in the safer the surgery. You won't be able to exercise immediately post op so keep that in mind.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Exercise 4 weeks before fat transfer may not have significant effect on results

+1

An established exercise routine for general fitness and weight control is considered to be a healthy practice. However, I do not see a specific rationale for starting an exercise routine four weeks before fat transfer. I do not think that the exercise will have any significant effect on the results of the fat transfer. There are other factors that will impact fat transfer, positively and negatively.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise before surgery is OK

+1

Exercise before your surgery should be fine. Significant weight fluctuation may effect the fat equilibrium in the face, particularly AFTER your procedure. Your surgeon may have specific restriction on exercise during the recovery period. However, exercise before surgery is usually not an issue unless it effects the volume of fat available.

Best wishes on your procedure and Happy Holidays!

Reza Nabavian, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Exercise before fat transfer

+1

I can't imagine why exericse could be a detriment for you. It may help increase your circulation in the recipient site of the buttock, therby increasing the chance of viability of the fat cells in the new environment. I doubt you would lose so much weight in the few weeks before your surgery that the surgeon wouldn't be able to find enough fat to harvest for the injections. Don't overexercise and starve yourself though, as that can throw off your electrolytes and body's homeostasis, or balance. This could interfere with your healing. Reasonable exercise is prudent.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fat Grafting and Weight

+1

Although I do not perform body fat transfer (except to the hands), I would like to take this opportunity to explain that at least for the face that exercise is about the only "risk" with fat transfer. Let me explain. It is not the exercise that is the issue, it is losing weight AFTER a fat transfer or gaining weight AFTER a fat transfer that truly can affect one's results. At least for the face, if one works out religiously after a fat transfer, the face may lose the volume only because this transplanted fat will become smaller in size in the face (not go away) and make the result look less impressive. When it comes to gaining weight after a fat transfer, that is the true risk to consider since the face can look even distorted with significant weight gain.

As far as the buttocks are concerned, obviously, that does not sound like it would have the same dramatic impact as the face would since even a little too much fat or too little fat in the face can affect the quality of the result. It is best to ask your plastic surgeon what he or she thinks regarding weight changes that occur after a fat transfer.

best,

dr. samuel lam

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise prior to Butt lift

+1

It is not likely that you will effect any significant difference in your body fat deposits in the following month but I would consult with your plastic surgeon prior to beginning any exercise regimen.

There is no point in beginning exercises 4 weeks before a Butt Fat Transfer

+1

Exercise is great. So is eating healthy and adopting a healthy routine. But beginning to exercise a month before a Brazilian Butt Lift after a 2 year break is similar to beginning brushing your teeth a few days before going to the dentist - it will NOT make a difference. It takes months of exercise to reverse fat deposits, bulk up muscles and make you healthier.

There is no reason why you cannot start now - but don't hope to see remarkable changes in such a short period of time.