Fat Transfer Vs Sculptra for Cheeks?

Does Fat Transfer work better for small loss of volume in cheeks for a 44 year old or Sculptra injections?

Fat transfer works better in cheeks, but it is an operation.

+2

Hi! In Manhattan we get wonderful results with fat grafting in the cheeks, and the results are often permanent.

But fat transfer is an operation that we do under sedation. So, many patients opt for Radiesse or Juvederm fillers in the cheeks. The results are good and long lasting with good technique, and there is no anesthesia.

We often do fat grafting combined with other operations, like liposuction or a facelift.

Fat vs Sculptra

+1

This is a question I hear often in my practice.  As a general rule of thumb, I prefer to use Sculptra or injectable fillers because they are predictable in terms of duration and placement. Fat can be unpredictable and it requires harvesting and sedation.  With Sculptra and you can fill the area gradually- over time- for a softer, more natural look.  Best of luck, Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat beats Sculptra

+1

Fat is your own tissue - sculptra is a foreign body that causes inflammation

Fat brings in stem cells that help to rejuvenate the surrounding area.

Both can be done under minimal anesthesia, I often perform Fat trasnfer to the face under local anesthesia.

Fat can last forever if done with proper technique with the right system - I like the Viafill system.

Robert M. Freund, MD

I prefer Sculptra for ease and reliability

+1

I used fat injections for years until better injectables became available.

However, fat grafting has always been considered unpredicable and I found it so even after years of experience with it.

We would have infrequent great results with long durability, but more frequent inadequate long term results.

Sculptra has the advantage that it does not require harvesting of fat, can easily be augmented, and by its nature is a staged technique.

When given a choice between fat and sculptra, my staff always takes Sculptra.

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon