FAT Transfer OR Breast Implants That FEEL Like the Real Thing???

ok,i think i've given up on my hope and quest to enlarge my breasts by fat grafting (unless any of you know a board certified plastic surgeon who can perform this procedure for me and make me 1 n 1/2-2 cup sizes larger) I am going to research breast implants...... heres the big question. how do i get my implants to FEEL soft and bouncy like real breasts i have? I want them larger but not if they are going to be too firm or totally different from real breast feel. (I dont care if they LOOK fake, as long as they FEEL nice and like the real thing). Ive heard about silicone being the better choice, but is it really?? and...im starting to get scared. What is the deal with all these websites with women who say they got sick from the implants???

Think Cohesive Gel

+3

Hi there,

With regard to your first question, I would say that in my opinion (I do a great deal of breast surgery and have experience with all of the currently available implant types and fillers), the modern cohesive silicone gel implants feel extremely natural (because the silicone is so uniform in texture, I often point out that they might even feel more like the "ideal" breast than the patient's existing breast, which might have small cysts or fibrous tissue in it).

With regard to your second concern, I think it is important to understand a few things about the last 28 years of the breast implant experience around the world.

The issue of breast implants of any type causing disease, worsening disease, of shortening life spans has been put to bed by the scientific community, with an overwhelming number of studies proving them to be safe and not responsible for these problems.

You can read all about the research and proof of their safety at the Institute of Medicine site, here:

http://www.iom.edu/CMS/3793/5638.aspx

Unfortunately, there are still women out there who want to believe that their implants caused them to contract a terrible illness which in most cases occurs without reasonable explanation, and these women are very vocal. There is simply no reasonable scientific proof that their illnesses were in fact caused by the implants, and a lot of proof that they were not.

I hope that helps.

You need silicone implants, which haven't made ANYBODY sick

+2

To barbiebionda16,

Hi! I am relieved that you are not going with fat injections. Smart choice.

Now there are no guarantees, but Mentor, round, smooth walled, moderate PLUS profile silicone implants will usually give you a soft, natural feel. Don't use regular "moderate profile" implants, because these are really low profile, and can cause rippling. Also, don't go too big if you want to feel natural.

I was one of the investigators for silicone implants, and I can tell you that there is a HUGE amount of scientific evidence showing that silicone does not cause any diseases. What you hear is "junk science" promoted by lawyers and plaintiffs who have made many millions of dollars with these claims.

Like any other device, silicone implants can have local problems (they can leak, for example, and then they need to be replaced), but they are approved by the FDA and they are safe.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Implants That FEEL Like the Real Thing

+1
It is wise not to pursue fat transfer for the breasts. Silicone implants feel more natural. There were two types of gel implants that caused health problems - DOW Corning and PIP. Neither are on the market. If you choose either Natrelle or Mentor then the silicone implants are safe. Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options, and choose the surgeon/surgical that best fits your needs/objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Fat transfer to the breasts - The Real Thing

+1

Using natural fat, we published a 250 cc increase in breast size or a doubling of breast size by MRI last June in the Journal, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  It is possible!

Dr Del Vecchio

bostonbreastcenter

Daniel Del Vecchio, MD

Capsular contracture is about the only thing problematic with breast implants.

+1

Breast implants don't make women sick.  Period.  Silicone gel implants on balance feel a little more natural than saline.  The only thing that stands between you and soft breasts is capsular contracture.  There is no way to absolutely prevent it from happening so you take your chances with the operation.  In my practice, about 1 in 25 patients develop enough of a contracture that we would elect to do something about it.

Breast Implant types

+1

Silicone gel implants feel very soft and natural in the majority of patients. For now these are really the gold standard for implants. However, some patients prefer saline because of the ease of identifying a leak.

Breast Implants vs. Fat Injections

+1

Most surgeons agree that silicone gel breast implants, in general, tend to feel more natural than saline breast implants. However, the degree to which this difference is significant varies a great deal with regard to two issues: the amount of breast tissue that exists prior to augmentation, and the size of the implant that is used.

The more natural feel of a silicone gel implant will be much more important to patients who are slender and fit in an A cup bra preoperatively, as they have less subcutaneous soft tissue to conceal the implant. The difference will be less noticeable to a patient who is more full-figured and has worn a B cup bra.

Smaller saline implants (less than 300cc), in my opinion, better simulate natural breast tissue than larger implants. If the goal of breast augmentation surgery is to produce a natural-appearing breast profile, and by 'natural-appearing' I mean that it matches the rest of a woman's figure and does not look like surgery, I think that most patients are best served by an implant smaller than 300cc in volume. Saline implants in this size range, in my experience, tend to produce results that not only look natural but also feel natural.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Implants are safe, fat injections are not

+1

Do not do fat injections into your breasts. You will regret it for the rest of your life. Silicone and saline implants are safe. There is no evidence that they cause any systemic diseases. The biggest problem with them is the development of a capsule contracture where the breasts feel firm - but the implants are still soft. Talk to a board certified plastic surgeon and get the information y ou need to make an informed decision. Also you can get information from the manufacturers' web sites.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Gel filled implants may be your best option

+1

The newer generation gel filled implants typically feel a bit more natural than the same type of saline filled implants. That being said, the more soft tissue you have over the implants the better the shape and feel of your result. For more information on the safety of gel filled implants, go to the plastic surgery web site www.plasticsurgery.com and www.breastimplantsafety.org

Submuscular silicone implants are likely the best choice for you

+1

Barbiebionda16,

Submuscular silicone implants are likely the best choice for you. You also have to make sure that you do not choose implants that are so large that they stretch your skin. Go for a moderate size and they should feel nice and natural - and look natural as well.

If you go to your doctor have have them let you squeeze a saline and then a silicone implant you will see the tremendous advantage that a silicone implant offers.

David Shafer, MD