Fat Transfer into the Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I wasn't real happy with my primary rhinoplasty because I ended up having a low spot on the right side post op. My surgeon recommended having radiesse treatments yearly to disguise the flaw but I don't want to continually go back for those. I have heard of several doctors offering fat transfers that can be a permanent fix and was wondering if they work?

Fat injections for the nose

+1
Even fat injections won't necessarily last forever. Some do provide many years of augmentation but other patients find that they need to comeback for more treatment.Try a hyaluronic acid filler first such as Juvederm or Restylane to see if you like the result before you do the fat because it's easy to reverse the effect with hyaluronidase.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

If this dent is bothering you enough then a revision rhinoplasty is permanent solution. Revision rhinoplasty surgery carry an increased risks of problems.

fillers have to be done periodically.

Fat transfer to the nose need extreme expertise. Very small aloquets of fat injected through a 30 guage needle .

Fat can show especially in thin ski, and very difficult to remove

VIDEO: Options for filling nasal depression after nose job. Filler choices

+1

There are many options. I would first recommend a resorbable filler such as Restylane prior to undergoing any long term filler. This allows you to preview the result and if you don't like it  you can even reverse it with off label use of hyaluronidase. Longer term fillers such as Radiesse are an option. Alternatively, Fat may provide a longer term solution but is difficult to predict and may require more than one session. Artefill is another "long-term filler" with limited reports in the nose but there have been incidents of vascular complications and skin compormise  with collagen fillers in the glabellar (frown-line)  regions. Off-label use of Silikon 1000 using the microdroplet technique has been reported to have an good outcomes but it is not advocated or practiced by many surgeons

Fat transfer after rhinoplasty

+1

Radiesse injections into the nose can be very helpful to camouflage any irregularities.  We perform injections regularly as part of a non-invasvie rhinoplasty.  After having a surgical rhinoplasty, the injections can also be used.  Juvederm is another option.  My suggestion would be to use Juvederm the first time to make sure that you like the result.  Juvederm and other HA products which can be "melted away" with hyaluronidase if you do not like the results.  Fat transfer is another options, but . fat does not have the same consistency as the injectables which might be better for small defects.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD