Will a Laser Treatment Along With Fat Transfer Extend The Fat Transfer Results?

I am considering fat transfer treatment to smooth the appearance of acne scars along my cheeks. One surgeon I consulted with said using a laser treatment in same session as fat transfer, will improve results. Is this true?

Yes to both

+1

I agree that you will likely see better results if you undergo both procedures.  I also agree that this is not due to either of these making the other better, but that they help in different ways.  The fat will help fill in any volume deficiencies and the laser will help with skin irregularities.  Best of luck.

Web reference: http://drpero.com/aesthetic-procedures/fat-injections-lipotransfer/

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser treatment will improve results in an additive way

+1

Laser treatment will improve the results, but not by amplifying the effect of the fat grafting. Meaning it doesn't make the fat last longer. Let me explain:

Laser resurfacing works in a different way than fat transfer works. It changes the quality of the skin by enhancing collagen production. It will improve the appearance of wrinkles and decrease the depth of the acne scars.

Fat transfer increases the volume beneath the skin, and just like blowing up a balloon makes the surface of the balloon smoother, fat transfer changes the skin surface the same way.

There are some claims that due to the cytokins/growth factors/stem cells within the fat, that it also has a beneficial effect on the skin quality as well. The jury is still out on that claim.

So whether you do the laser at the same time, or you do it at a different time, the effect will still be additive. So if you give laser a positive value of 2 and the fat transfer  a positive value of 2, if you do them together, you will get a positive value of 4...laser doesn't enhance the value of the fat transfer to a 3 to make the total 5.

I hope that makes sense

Best of luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon