Fat Transfer Injections on Frown Lines Migrated to Upper Eyelid

I had fat injections on frown lines 3 weeks ago during a full face lift. It seems to me that on my left upper eyelid I have a long gated bump just below where the one frown line above my left eye is. Could the fat transfer of migrated down there? It's very noticeable and actually kind of bothers me. What can I do to get rid of this migrated fat. Going to the plastic surgeon if out, as it was done in Mexico and I live in the States.

You get what you pay for.

+2

To others out there, do not travel to Mexico for low cost service!  3 weeks is early.  It is possible that your swelling will improve with more time.  Alternatively, you might need surgery to fix this issue.  I would find an experienced facial or oculoplastic surgeon in your area to assess you and determine what you need.

Fat Transfer Irregularity

+1

If there is still irregularity after several months, find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of fat grafting procedures each year and can manage all of these issues for you.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Can the fat used in a fat transfer migrate?

+1

It's unlikely that fat from a fat transfer would migrate all the way down to your eyelid from your forehead.  However, without seeing you in person or learning more about your procedure, it is difficult to provide you with accurate advice.  In general, Botox or Dysport are the best options for improving the appearance of frown lines. Fat transfer can result in the following side effects:

1) Swelling
2) Bruising
3) Redness
4) Lumps
5) Assymmetry

Depending on its location, unwanted fat can be removed by excision, liposuction, or it can be dissolved.  These are not viable options based on the location of your issue.  I would recommend following up with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who is familiar with procedures to the eyes. Thanks and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does fat migrate

+1

I have no pictures so I must recommend seing a board certified plastic surgeon to help you

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

+1

It is best to see an eyelid specialist so they can determine what is going on.  Then, you can get a good recommendation.  Good luck.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling in the eyelid 3 weeks after fat transfer could be either swelling or transferred fat

+1

Swelling in the eyelid 3 weeks after fat transfer could be either swelling or transferred fat. Most likely this is swelling resulting from your procedure. However, it is possible that this has resulted from the transferred fat. It is unlikely that the fat has migrated but if the swelling does not resolve then it is possible that fat was inadvertently placed in this area. If it does not resolve steroid injections and subsequent massage can improve this appearance. You should find a local Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon experienced in fat transfer to evaluate you and determine the best course of action.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Migration of fat graft?

+1

I agree that fat tends to stay where it is placed during fat grafting.  The bump that you see may be swelling, fat that was placed into that spot or left over fat pocket on the upper eyelid (assuming that eyelid surgery was done). 

Without examining you, it is difficult to make a good judgement.  I would recommend that you find a surgeon in your area experienced in fat grafting for an assessment, or go back to the surgeon who performed the procedure.  Best of luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to frown lines

+1

This early-on after your surgery it is hard to know whether the lump may be swelling or fat. I would suggest starting to massage the area firmly.

You should find a reputable plastic surgeon in your area and have it assessed. If it is some fat which was misplaced at the time of your surgery, steroid injections can sometimes help quite a bit to try and reduce the lumpiness.

Dr. Jamil Asaria, FACE Toronto

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer to Frown Lines

+1

Fat grafting is a very useful adjunct to facelift surgery. In my experience, the fat does not migrate but rather stays were it is placed. Aside from cheeks, under-eye regions, jawline and chin, the area between the brows (aka glabella) and the brows/ upper eyelids benefit sometimes from careful fat injections. Some over-correction after 3 weeks is common as it takes a few months for things to really settle down. I would follow up with a facial surgeon in 1 month.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat migration done in Mexico.

+1

I would need to see photos and examine the area since only your surgeon knows what he did. This is one of many reasons we tell patients that you get what you pay for.