Am I a Candidate For Fat Transfer in One Breast Only? I Have Uneven Breasts and Already Had Encapsulated Implants Removed.

I am 42 5'2" & about 130 pounds. I had breast implants 20 yrs ago. They encapsulated and caused me lots of complications. I got them replaced & removed 4 years later. I now have uneven breast - 1 A cup & 1 AA cup & they are different shapes now. My question is -since Im not a candidate for implants, would you recommend fat grafting for me if I only want to inject fat into the smaller breast (AA) so that it can be the same size & shape as the (A) cup? How much fat would I need? thanks!

Yes, fat transfer for breast assymetry in small breasts

+1

Thank you for your question.  I can't say for sure with no pictures and without examining you but fat transfer can be a safe alternative and works the best when the volume of fat transfer is not significant...150cc or less. Yes, it can be done on one breast only.

Not all plastic surgeons are trained and comfortable performing this procedure. To see if you actually are a good candidate, see at least two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. 

When you call to make the appointment, ask specifically if the plastic surgeon performs fat transfer techniques. You don't want to make a wasted trip. I hope this helps.

Fat Grafting works, but for Breasts Implants are Probably Still Best

+1

Hi there-

In order to maximize safety and achieve the most natural result, grafting of fat to the breasts should be limited to areas needing small volume enhancement. It is also important that you understand the risks of the procedure complicating your future breast cancer surveillance.

On the other hand, I agree with Dr. Posner that your previous history with breast implants should not necessarily mean that you cannot achieve a pleasing, soft, natural result with implants in the future. 

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Fat Grafting is great when done right!

+1

Fat grafting is operator and system dependent. Different fat harvesting systems have different long term outcomes. The key to any good result is harvesting and reinjecting live tissue. Normal liposuction techniques are typically too rough on fat cells. look for a system that is designed to preserve fat. I am the developer of the Viafill fat Transfer System which provides 20.8 million live cells for injection in each ml. With such a high number of live cells cysts and resorption are minimized.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Good candidates for fat transfer to the breast

+1

First you must understand that fat grafting is very operator dependent, and can result in cysts and calcifications which can make breast examination more difficult. Fat grafting is gaining interest and traction and a modest increase in your smaller breast does make you a better candidate. Smaller well dispersed volumes seem best, and more than one session may allow the grafts to build up with less loss.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Fat Grafting for One Breast

+1

You are an ideal for fat grafting to the breasts.  I am doing this procedure more and more for women with and without implants.  The wonderful thing about fat is that we can put it literally where you want it and as much as you would like as well.  

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Fat transfer may be your answer

+1

Fat transfer is tricky business. The process requires some estimation and you should plan on  2 procedures. Some fat lives and incorporates into the breast, some doesn't. Dr Del Vecchio has a large experience with this procedure, but nobody is perfect. Most people have fat to transfer, but this is a new technique in PS and errors will occur. If you adopt the attitude that you are augmenting your smaller breast naturally, you will accept the tradeoff! At A or AA, you may want to seek 2 or 3 opinions prior to any surgery. I would likely recommend implants again.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting or small volume correction of breast asymmmetry

+1

It is possible that fat grafting may be an option for you especially if you are looking for a relatively minor correction of asymmetry.  There are new options available for those patients who have had difficult times with capsular contracture.  A discussion with your plastic surgeon is in order.  

Breast reconstruction

+1

You may very well be a candidate for fat grafting to your breast for asymmetry, but jsut because you had capsules in the past does not mean you can not have them redone.  Strattice with new implants may be the best choice, but an exam is essential.

Fat grafting as an option for the breasts

+1

based on your history you may be an excellent candidate for breast fat grafting.  This may not be your only option as a history of breast implant problems does not necessarily rule out the possibility of using breast implants to accomplish your goals. Fat grafting can certainly offer an alternative which has certain advantages.  This should be discussed with a board certified plastic surgeon who can offer their opinion during a consultation. good luck.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Fat transfer to breasts

+1

Fat grafting to correct breast asymmetry is a viable option but it is difficult to assess your particular case without at least photos to see the shape, degree of asymmetry and amount of fat in your body. I am curious as to why you say you aren't a candidate for implants just because you have had previous capsules. I have treated many patients who have had previous capsular contracture with capsulectomy and Strattice placement who now have soft breasts. 

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon