Will Fat Transfer Help to Improve Under Eyes Skin?

I had taken couple of laser sessions under eyes around 6 to 9 months back for dark circle reduction (last was ~6mns back, taken 7 sessions). I have got fat atrophy, skin is loose, hollowed (in-fact puffy) and rough.I want to go for fat transfer under eyes! I have few ques 1) Which area harvested fat should used for lower eyelid filling (Abdomen, butt or Inner thigh) and why? 2) How much fat finally survives? 3) I was suggested for 2 stages fat transfer, what should be minimum time gap b/w proc

Fat Grafting not Fat Injection is best for Hollow Dark Circles Under Eyes

+3

Transconjunctival Arcus Marginalis Release and Open Fat Grafting is the best technique to correct Dark Circles Under the Eyes caused by Hollow Eyes. Unlike Fat Injection Transfer, The Open Fat Grafting Technique puts the Fat where it can do the most good and survival of an open graft is better.

Also there is only 1 session. To answer your questions:

• I use Fat From the Pubic Region under the hair because the fat is firmer, survival is better, and the scar is well hidden.
  • Open Composite Graft=90% survival, Injected Fat by Needle= 40-60% survival
  • 1 procedure only with Open Composite Fat Grafting

The puffiness of the lower eyelid will also be corrected with this procedure.

Fat transfer below eyes

+2

Fat transfer in the high cheek/lower eyelid area is a nice option.  When patients ask which area should the fat come from a good rule of thumb is the area where you first notice fat accumulation and the one that is hardest to get rid of.  The amount of fat that survives is dependent on technique and what is added with the fat, for example PRP (platelet rich plasma)

Michael A. Fallucco, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer Can Improve Lower Eyelid Hollowing from Fat Atrophy

+1

Great Questions - you obviously have researched this subject and have given it considerable thought.

Dark circles caused by shadowing from fat atrophy depression can be improved with fat transfer and  is a good technique if done by  experienced plastic surgeons..As long as your weight is stable then the donor site is less important. If you are planning on a significant weight change then this is not your best option. You could minimize problems theoretically by choosing a donor site that changes the least with weight change. It is estimated that most of the fat survives but this is variable (probably 60-80%+ survives). I agree that it is best to under compensate if possible and so more than one injection is prudent. I would wait probably 6 months or more to make sure the site is fully recovered and stable so you have your new base line.Most important is to make sure your plastic surgeon has plenty of experience with this technique. For example, if the injections are not done deeply, close to the underlying bone or is inadvertently injected just below the skin or in the muscle they may cause lumps or nodules. I personally like this technique and perform it often with good results.

Choose your plastic surgeon wisely on this one, ask how many time they have performed this technique and make sure they are board certified

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Fat transfer below eyes

+1
To answer your questions in order you sound you like you would be a good candidate for fat transfer and the complaints you are discussing should show marked improvement. As far as where you harvest the fat from is subjective from patient to patient depending on skin tone, areas of excess fat etc. It does not matter for the transfer where the fat comes from. You want to remove it from the best area for higher patient satisfaction. How much fat survives depends on the technique of the surgeon when removing the fat and each patients individual metabolism. As far as the time gap between the procedures this will depend on your satisfaction with the original procedure and if you need a secondary procedure at all. You would wait at least three to six months to see the transfer survival rate and then discuss secondary grafting if necessary. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Fat transfer to eyelid hollows

+1

Fat transfer to hollow areas of the face, including upper cheek and lower eyelid hollow junction is great, although another great option is lower eyelid fat transposition if you are a candidate for it.  The area of fat harvesting (abdomen, thigh) does not matter as long as there is good fat there.  Fat transfer is unpredictable, but generally 50-70% of the fat transfer survive over the next 3 months after injection, after which they are permanent.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon