Fat Transfer/grafting for Cheeks? (photo)

I have always had a long, narrow face. However, with age and with weight loss, the volume in my face seems depleted. I am considering fat transfer for my cheeks. I was wondering if my expectation of a fuller face is reasonable with this procedure as I am hoping to avoid implants. Does this procedure need to be performed under full anesthesia? What is the aprox cost/range? And lastly, are there any doctors that you can recommend that specialize in this technique (NY, Dallas, Atlanta, LA)

Excellent candidate for fat transfer

You are an excellent candidate for fat transfer to your face. Sometimes however patients that are super thin and muscular will not have much fat to harvest from other parts of their body.

Most women have a little reservoir of fat on the inner or outer thighs, but if you are in tremendous shape, this may not be the case.

Having said that, most surgeons will do fat transfer with deep sedation, though I've done the procedure with light sedation and local anesthesia only.

The cost is usually between $5000-10000 depending how many regions of the face are injected, and what part of the country you live in.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat transfer expert

You are an excellent candidate for a fat transfer providing you have adequate donor fat.  While a full face fat transfer is appropriate you may choose to just have  the cheek/midface.  I have been doing fat transfers for 15 yrs and have performed over 500 facial fat transfers and co authored the standard textbook on facial fat grafting.  The procedure can be done with local or IV sedation and cost ranges from $6000.

Mark Glasgold, MD
Highland Park Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer to the face

Fat transfer to the face can change the shape of your face fill the hollow areas.The results can be very dramatic and nice.

Choosing the right surgeon and the right technique is of utmost importance, to anlyze the face and distribute the fat evenly and in a three dimentional manner.

The picture posted shows long, deflated face. The high hair line does not help either. There is hollowness in the temples, cheeksm cheek bone and nasolabial fold.

The procedure is done under local anesthesia or sedation depend on your tolerance and comfort with local anesthesia.

This is a time consuming procedure, fat is removed, then all fluid is removed, then the fat is centrifuged and more fluid is taken. There are certain portion of the fat centrifuged that contains more stem cells and that fat is used for critical areas. Depending on the amount needed, and the type of anesthesia the cost can be from $5000-8000

Fat transfer to the face

Dear Kiki03,

• You would be an execellent candidate for the fat transfer procedure
  • It can be placed around the eyes, cheeks, almost anywhere to get a nice result
  • I have had much experience in fat transfer in Los Angeles, and believe it is better than implants as they look and feel natural
  • It is performed under twilight anesthesia
  • The approximate price range depends on your exam and what you need, but procedures can go from about five thousand and up

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Fat Grafting vs. Implants for Narrow Face

Thank you for this great question and for posting your picture. Autologous fat grafting is a fantastic option for facial revolumization, though it can be a fickle treatment and in some cases needs to be revised or repeated. As we get older, the fullness and youthful volume of the midface (upper cheek area) is lost. There are multiple ways of addressing these concerns and fat grafting is among them -- other options include implants and lifting techniques. Since you are not interested in implants, the remaining option of an endoscopic midface lift should be considered. A certified facial aesthetic surgery expert can help you choose the best option for your face.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer/grafting for Cheeks

You appear to be an excellent candidate for fat transfer. The range of anesthesia that is possible ranges from light to heavy sedation. General anesthesia is not the norm for this procedure.

The cost for fat transfer like other cosmetic surgery varies considerably across the country and even in the same area. South Florida tends to have lower fees then more expensive areas such as New York or Los Angeles. We charge starting at $1000 for fat transfer to the face. Since you can get quality work at lower costs, patients will travel from throughout the state, the country, and internationally to have surgery in South Florida.

To ensure that you are receiving quality work with personalized care at the most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. The quality must be maintained at the highest level to maintain accreditation. The surgeons also have incentive to hire and train quality staff (to ensure that surgery is efficient and enjoyable), to ensure comfortable and private facilities (to encourage referral), and to eliminate waste (to ensure that these facilities can compete effectively).

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Fat Transfer to Augment Volume to Cheeks

Fat transfer is a recommended option to restore or augment volume to the cheeks.  If you are a very thin person, the fat will likely need to be harvested from several different sites in your body.  The flanks, outer and/or inner thigh, lower abdomen are amongst the sites where fat can be removed to augment the volume of the cheeks.  The procedure can be performed under either local anesthesia or IV sedation.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Excellent Fat Transfer Candidate

You are an excellent candidate for fat transfer to the midface and cheeks.  Fat transfer is a safe and effective way to add or restore volume to the face.  Unlike implants which have anatomical constraints, fat can be used like a filler to sculpt the face.  The cost of fat transfer is about $2500-$5000.  The procedure can be performed quite comfortably in the privacy, safety and comfort of the office.  Seek consultation for a fat transfer expert.  All the best.

Fat transfer

You are an excellent candidate for the fat transfer to your cheeks. I recommend sedation since the procedure/injections are many and you will be more comfortable. The fee is around $6,000

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS