Can Fat be Inserted to the Nose via a Closed Rhinoplasty Approach?

I whould like to know if fat can be inserted to the nose via a closed rhinoplasty approach.I am aware that this kind of procedure is usually done through an injection but I specifically need to know if it is also possible to be insertsed via a closed rhino approach.M y nose will be dissected in this manner anyway for another matter so I was wondering if those two chould be combined..?

Fat Grafting in Nose via Closed Rhinoplasty Approach

+1

Fat grafting can be done in the nose with limited success. If  a closed rhinoplasty approach is planned I suggest you use cartilage grafts which are reliable and provide a permanent result.

Fat to closed rhinoplasty

+1

Fat can be inserted but only in areas that have not been undermined. If for example only a tip plasty is performes fat can be injected into the undisected profile.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

+1

It could be but sounds like a disaster waiting to happen IMHO.  Despite what you've read, fat transfer is far from reliable and you'd be way better off IMO having an off the shelf filler injected for nasal shaping using either Restylane or Juvederm whose results are predictable whereas fat is not.

Placing fat graft in the nose via closed rhinoplasty approach

+1

I'm not a big fan of fat grafting to the nose in general. Based on your question, fat transfer doesn't work well in areas that are dissected at the time of surgery. Dissection disrupts the normal blood supply that is needed for fat graft take.

If you're having nose surgery anyway, I find that there are other, more reliable ways of obtaining colume improvements to the nose using standard rhinoplasty techniques.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fat in the nose?

+1

I know that some surgeons have performed fat injections into the nose successfully but my opinion is that this needs to be a highly individualized decision.  Most of the time, this is more of a reconstructive than cosmetic procedure in my experience.  The nose is one of the most unforgiving places for any type of filler, especially in the tip.  I would be hesitant to routinely recommend this via an injection or a closed rhinoplasty approach. 

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat injection ot the nose

+1

It is probably better to add fat( if one is doing so) into an area that is not opened through dissection of the tissues. The fat needs a blood supply to survive.