Fat Transfer to Breasts - My doctor says they can get me up 2 cup sizes. I am about 5'4 107 lbs and 22 years old.

I'm looking to get a fat transfer to my breasts. My doctor says they can get me up 2 cup sizes ( I am about 5'4 107 lbs and 22 years old). They're going to be using UAL technique. I've been hearing so many different opinions and I just want to know the truth. I dont know what to do, I'm really stuck. I want larger breasts but if I can do it without implants, I'd be ecstatic. My biggest fear out of all of this is the results of the Liposuction (I don't want to end up like Tara Reid with all the dimples). Can someone advise me on this matter?

Fat transfer works but not after ultrasound-assisted liposuction

I been doing fat grafting for more than 11 years and fat grafting to the breast for 3 years. It works, but:

1) You cannot increase the breast size more than a cup size

2) You do not have a lot of fat, UAL is ultrasoinc harvesting and will kill all the fat cells

3) I am concerned that your doctor does not have enough experince, otherwise he would not suggest UAL

4) Make sure to ask for referral from previous patients, and also ask for mammogram of the previous patients

5) I have an on-going study with NIH. You can check it under clinicaltrials.gov and search under fat injection.

Thank you.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fat injection to the breasts

It is so intuitively appealing... natural tissue injected into the breasts, all natural breast tissue that survives. What could be better?
Here's the rub.
Fat injection consists of mainly dead cells, with a disputed amount of living cells. Our research showed 20-25% alive, other studies have shown as low as 3% if you look at the ability of the cells to "breathe" (metabolize).
Those dead cells, when injected into the breasts, either are dissolved away by the body's white blood cells, or form chronic inflammatory reactions and are walled off (granulomatous reactions) or form fatty cysts. Lumpiness can also occur with the above problems as well.
It is the walling off process that causes the most worry. Calcium formation is common in granulomatous reactions. Calcium is what clues off mammographers to the presence of cancer. So will there be false positive mammograms for cancer in patients who have this technique? We'll have to wait and see.
In five years' time, we will have our answers. Until then, patients receiving this technique will take a certain risk. We won't be using this technique in our practice until more data are available.
UAL, by the way, (and also the laser) melts and destroys fat cells with ultrasound waves (or laser heat). This technique would guarantee only dead cells are introduced.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Consider your options very carefully

The previous answer is accurate, but you need to know that at this time in the U.S. the option for fat grafting to the breast is specifically banned by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, so no board-certified plastic surgeon would do it for augmentation unless it is part of an approved clinical trial.

Also, the use of VASER here doesn't make sense to me; I do use it frequently but the ultrasound actually destroys the fat cells so it would not be suitable for grafting. We do hope to have the option of using fat in the breast in the not too distant future but for now caution is advised.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast lipoaugmrntation or fat transfer to breasts

I do perform this procedure for selected patients. It is not suitable for everyone and is usually twice more expensive. However you can simply not use dead cells after UAL or laser lipo. The cells are damaged after such procedures reducing their survival. Also, you can not go up more than one cup size at a time at best. Thus you will need two procedures at least.

Fat transfer

american society of aesthetic plastic surgery and american society of plastic surgery stil do not recommend breast augmentation by fat transfer, please research this technique prior to embarking on this procedure by any surgeon

Christopher K. Livingston, MD

I do not believe you are a good candidate for this procedure because:

• you have inadequate fatty stores / deposits - based on your weight and height
  • the technique you have chosen (UAL) will only graft / inject dead cells - this will be reabsorbed and you will be left pretty much where you started, with regards to your beasts.

Don't forget that the possibility to end up with irregularities (dimples) is still present.

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Fat for Breast Augmentation

Today there several options for breast augmentation. The more traditional option is breast implant surgery. Fat grafting is also one of the viable alternatives. The benefit is that there is no implant and if fat heals well, the breast looks and feels normal. The downside is that fat transfer into the breast usually requires use of BRAVA system prior to surgery, the amount of breast enlargement is usual limited to 1 cup size, there is minimal to no breast lift associated with it. Another problem is a unpredictable survivability of fat. Some calcifications will happen within the breast tissue breast augmentation with fat. Usually the pattern of those calcifications is different from calcifications associated with breast cancer. However, in most cases, radiation oncologists would be more aggressive with biopsy of those lesions, if there is a strong history of breast cancer in the family of previous biopsies. There are some centers doing breast augmentation with own fat today, however, before considering this technique the patient needs to consider not only immediate gratification, but also possible long-term effects associated with fat transfer. Sincerely, Boris Volshteyn M.D., M.S.

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer to the breast- liposuction is a secondary benefit !

We do fat transfer to the breast for augmentation- I have to be honest : thus far, patients have been as happy, sometimes happier, with their LIPOSUCTION results obtained from this procedure. Fat grafting to the breast can give a fairly reliable ONE CUP size augmentation with appropriate BRAVA pre-expansion. Without pre-expansion, results are less reliable. I tell every patient that we see for breast fat grafting that a breast implant can give them a reliable result at less cost and risk than fat grafting. Despite this discussion, we have patients interested in the procedure- we only offer it to patients that understand the substantial benefits and limitations of the procedure.

Fat transfer to breast

It si definitely good possibility ,   Since breast implants are very  consistent in the results they are used more often but fat is a good possibility.  I will not used ultrasonic energy because it damage the cells  and the survival be impaired

Breast Augmentation Using Your Own Fat

While there are some experienced board-certified plastic surgeons performing liposuction and fat grafting to the breast, this procedure is very technique-dependent and should only be done by those with proper training and experience.  Of concern, however, is that it is unrealistic to expect an increase in breast size by two cups with this procedure.  Breast augmentation with implants is the only way to attain such a large increase in size.  What is even more concerning, though, is that your surgeon is planning on using ultrasound assisted liposuction to harvest your fat for transfer.  Ultrasound assisted liposuction will kill the harvested fat cells and if those cells are subsequently injected into the breast would result in areas of fat necrosis, scarring, and perhaps infection. 

Jaime Perez, MD