Fat Transfer for Breast Augmentation. Can Fat Grow in a Lab

I am interested in natural breast augmentation (currently size A, happy with even size B), but I don't think I have enough fat for fat transfer (1.75m, 61kg, toned/athletic body), or I'm worried over the number of scars and their size if they have to take fat from several places. If you're not a candidate for lipo, is it theoretically possible to withdraw a small sample of your own fat, "grow" it in a lab and inject it into the breasts?! What other options are there for a cup size increase?

Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

The ability to harvest fat and grow it in a lab for future use is, at present, not a possibility, at least for the masses. Conceivably, this will be a very real possibility in the years to come.  In the mean time, fat transfer breast augmentation is a procedure with many considerations.  For a more comprehensive review on the subject, you may refer to an article I recently wrote at the web reference below. 

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Fat Grow in a Lab

+1

Currently, growing fat in a lab is not feasible. The concept while fanciful may be too costly to be practical.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Currently, growing fat in the lab is not a feasible option.

+1

Currently, growing fat in the lab is not a feasible option.  Thank you for your question.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Growing fat in a lab to graft to your breasts

+1

is not a realistic option.  It would simply cost too much to have it done at this time and you would be spending oodles to create enough soft tissue to graft and still have to accept the chances of it not surviving.

If you are absolutely not interested in implants, there is a breast expansion technique out there that I have no experience in but they do show photos documenting larger breasts using their technology.  Look into BRAVA providers and have frank discussions about what you desire and whether they can achieve that for you.  It does seem possible to go up a cup size using this.

Curtis Wong, MD

Fat injection to the breast

+1

Wouldn't it be great to be able to culture your cells for injection to enahnce body contour. I think this may happen in the future, but it has not happened just yet.  Some surgeons do inject a patient's native fat back into the breasts, but do no t expect volumes similar to the average breast implant. 

There is no technology at this time for fat growth in lab

+1

Most patients have enough fat for one cup breast enlargement. Please send your pictures of the body for further evaluation.  You may visit my web site for examples of fat grafting

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer

+1

Theoriticaly fat can be grown in the laboratory, but not in enough quantities to do fat transfer. This will require highly sophisticated labs. and extremely expensive, and theoritical