Fat Transfer for Brazilian Butt Lift and Breast Augmentation. Does One Last Longer?

From the information i've gathered online, both the Brazilian Buttock Lift and breast augmentation(not the implant kind) utilizes your own fat to augment and lift. but why is it that butt lift are said to have more permanent and lasting results than breast augmentation using the fat transfer method ? Why does the fat transfer used for boobs seemed to have a less survival chance of the fat cells than butt lift? Why would the fat injected in boobs disappear more than in the butt?

+1

Nobody knows the answer to this question. I would guess each lasts the same amount of time. I have not noticed any difference in my practice.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian But Lift vs Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Lasting Power

+1

The short answer is NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE. To my knowledge there has not been any scientific study comparing the two sites side by side. So all that is known is simple opinion. It is true there are a lot of variables to consider. For example the make up of the recipient site - is it already composed of just fat (like the buttocks) or mostly fat but also breast tissue (more fat in middle age than in women in their twenties), or in an area where there is no fat (lips for example where fat transfer works but less seems to survive.  Blood supply, and also the rate of which the surrounding fat tends to atrophy (disappears with age) will give you the illusion that it is the transferred fat that is not surviving rather that the native tissue. I think think of several other variables but you get the point. Further as the fat transferred behaves like fat from the donor site, if you gain a lot of weight the fat transfer will also increase with volume, and the opposite will happen if you lose weight.

My experience however is that fat transfer is a good procedure for both locations with many advantages over implants if a modest gain is desired.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Brazilian butt lift/breast augmentation

+1

Great question.  I would say that fat survival in fat transfer surgery is a relatively new field here in the USA and I am not sure that studies have not looked at this specific issue.  Plastic surgeons certainly know that only 30-70% of the fat transferred survives.  Once it "takes," I would argue that fat is fat and I would not think it "lasted longer" in one site over another.  It may be that what you are talking about is that breast augmentation with fat transfer (something that I think should only be done in a study situation at present) can take several surgeries to get the desired volume.  Suffice it to say that the whole story is not known yet.

James E. Chappell, MD

Does fat last longer in certain areas

+1

When we perform fat transfer there are several factors that influence the overall survival of the fat transferred.  One important factor is blood supply in the recipient area.  The newly transferred fat must establish a new blood supply and if there is too much motion in the area this can disrupt the newly forming blood vessels and lead to less fat survival.  This is just one of many factors involved. 

Michael A. Fallucco, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer for Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

The explanation is  quite simple: into your butts it  exsists laxity and the the tissues may be expanded as much as fat quantity you get, by the contrary breasts are not as expasible as buttocks even you have a method called "brava" to expand breasts  tissue previously to augmentation  by negative air pressue  over the breasts

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon