What Are The Possible Negative Side Effects Of Fat Transfers Under The Eyes.

Hello, I need advice on Coleman fat transfer for the hollow area underneath the eyelids. I am concerned with what can happen to injected fat that doesn't "take". For example, some opinions on this site report that dead liquid fat, non viable fatty cysts (walled off dead cells), and chronic inflammation are all likely to occur. What eventually happens to all of the above elements? Also, is it wrong to assume that only live cells remain after 6 months? thanks for your help!

Fat transfer to treat under eye hollows

You have received very different answers to your questions.  I am not thrilled with the results of fat transfer in this area as lumps post treatment occur not infrequently.  But I am also not thrilled with the results of Juvederm injections either as this may cause additional inflammation and swelling and look worse than the problem did initially.  I think think Silikon 1000 is my favorite filler in this application and/or conservative surgery may be indicated.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat grafts for lower eyelids

Fat grafts are best done below the muscle because they may appear as lumpy deposits if injected right under the thin skin of the lower eyelid. the tear trough is an excellent place to inject fat grafts. There is a concern of injecting fat between the eyelash margin and the tear trough as there is no bony wall above which the fat can be injected under the muscle and there could be undesired spread of fat in this plane. See an experienced plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat Transfers Under the Eyes

The complications you describe with fat transfer to the lower eyelids are rare when this is done by experienced surgeons. Orbital fat repositioning can also be used to fill in the grooves of the lower lid margins. If fillers are used, I prefer Restylane.

Fat transfer for the eyes.

The best way to fill the groove of the lower eyelid is not with that type of fat transfer since it is very easy to get lumps with scar tissue. If you have bags the fat can be removed from the mountain and placed in the groove and sutured. Otherwise you would be safer with Juviderm as a filler.

Problems after Fat Grafting for Tear Troughs and Cheeks

Facial fat transfer is a great option to improve the under-eye hollows. Normal aspects after fat injection include absorption of fat that does not "take". There is never 100% take and the excess, non-viable fat will simply be absorbed over time. Cysts have been described but we have not seen them in the lower eyes; likely because of the delicate micro-droplet technique used.

Chronic inflammation? This is highly unlikely because it is your own body's fat (a.k.a. autologous fat).

In terms of longevity, whatever is there after 6 months should be there after 1 year - more or less... (Yes, is some patients even a little more). Good luck!

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon