Fat Transfer to Face in Low-fat Male: is Aggressive Lipo Bad?

Male, early 50s, good shape (daily exercise) with a gaunt look to my face. There is some fat around my abdomen. I consulted with 3 local surgeons. 1st suggested a face lift with subsequent fat transfer if needed, and advised against lipo since the abdominal fat was so minor. 2nd said fat transfer, but maybe there isn't enough fat to harvest and so may need fillers as well. 3d is very aggressive at lipo (90%?) and has extensive fat grafting experience. Should I worry about aggressive lipo?

Fat Transfer to Face

+1

The abdomen does not have to be used as a source.  Any source of fat can be used.  In addition, if someone has a lot of experience in fat grafting, they can usually find the fat without causing a problem.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Male fat transfer

+1

Dear rg12,

• It all depends on your exam
  • If you are very thin and exercise regularly, then the fat transfer to the face may not last that long, or there might not be enough
  • You may want to consider a filler like Restylane, Radiesse, or Sculptra
  • You just have to go with the surgeon you are most comfortable with

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

A photo would be useful

+1

Depending on extent of facial fat atrophy, you may nor may not need a lot of fat.

You may need as little as 10-20 cc's, which even in very think patients is possible to harvest, or as much as 40-60 cc's if you are very gaunt in multiple regions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "aggressive lipo". Generally we don't use machine assisted vacuum liposuction as a way to harvest fat because it is thought that it might traumatize the fat and make it not viable. If you have very little fat, then there is a risk of contour irregularity at the donor site.

Again, a photo would be helpful to assess facial fat need, and if you show abdominal region as well, we might be able to tell you if you have enough fat to harvest.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon