Fat Transfer Under Eyes Leave Dark Line Where Injected, is This Common? Or Should Fat Be Cleaned? (photo)

Had lower bleph & laser under my eyes and fat harvest. The fat being injected, is brownish& seems to leave a dark line where it is injected-is that common?The fat is not cleaned to have a better chance to be accepted. It was clearly stored because I have had to go for injections of the fat for months & I pay$100 each time for these injections as well as paid $900 for the initial harvest. Feel like an ATM is this a common practice? Or is the fat transfer done at 1 or 2 times?

Fat transfer to the eyes

+1

Dear Real answers,

• Fat transfer techniques vary between surgeon to surgeon
  • I do process the fat to separate out the fat from the rest of the harvest, but other people may not
  • The brown line should resolve over time and can take a few weeks, a laser may help expedite the process
  • I do not store fat, just inject it at once, freshly, but some practices do store the fat
  • The only thing that storing fat may do is reduce the take of the fat which would require multiple injections, but we do touch ups occasionally even when injected freshly

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Fat can be stored

+1

Obviously its not possible to comment on the fat that was injected in you specifically. Fat can be stored properly in subzero, medical grade freezers. We do that routinely in our practice, and it is done with proper storage techniques, identification, etc.

If the fat is not "washed", it can have a slight redness tinge to it which may be confused with brown if is stored.

As far as the "take" of stored fat, the jury is still out. We cannot accurately claim what percentage of the fat is remains viable, though in our experience, it seems to be less than the fat that was injected on the day of the harvest.

We discuss that the patients as a matter of preoperative counseling. We consider stored fat as almost like a "super" dermal filler such as Restylane or Juvederm. It may behave in a more temporary fashion, and in our practice, the cost is significantly less than a vial of filler, and there is potential that it could "take" permanently.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting and Dark Lines

+1

Fat grafting to the face can be very effective if injected precisely.  I cannot comment on the storing of fat as I have chosen not to do that in my practice.  With regard to the dark lines, bruising may occur with fat grafting especially in conjunction with the blepharoplasty.  You appear very early in healing, and I would anticipate that your look will continue to improve.  As always, express your concerns to your plastic surgeon as that individual is in a better position to comment.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA